Pages

Monday, July 27, 2015

Thoughts While Reading Cress- aka not-a-review

Hi everyone! I finally finished Cress, the third book in the Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer. I decided against an actual review. Instead I'll share my thoughts while reading the book. I might have stolen this idea from Beth @ The Quiet People with her post 19 Thoughts When Reading Red Rising

You should totally check out her blog because 1) I love her reviews, so to the point and heartfelt, 2) she talks about some good stuff, 3) I'm almost out of M&Ms *flails* wait, that's irrelevant, and 4) she has a minimalist style with awesome book photography.

If you haven't read the Lunar Chronicles, then allow me to direct you to Cinder by Marissa Meyer. It happens to be the first in the Chronicles. It's hilarious. It's a Cinderella retelling. And I promise, you will not be disappointed in the leastest (Don't tell me that's not a word. I do what I want.). I now charge you, go forth and read it! Then Scarlet. Then Cress. And then you can wait with me in agony until November when Winter finally comes out. 





 My tribute to Cress.

There may be spoilers ahead, as well as randomly placed Tangled gifs. You have been warned. 



 


Thorne makes me think of Han Solo.

*

I love how Thorne engages Sybil on the satellite. He doesn't give a second thought to the trickery because it was always an open possibility. He doesn't put up a fuss about dying either. I mean, sure he'll try to escape. But if it doesn't work, he'll accept death. In some small way, he makes me think of the Norsemen. The philosophy behind Norse mythology. Seriously, why do people study Greek myth? Why not Norse? 



Flynn & Maximus. Tangled




Torin is driving me crazy! He says Cinder isn't to be trusted and his sole reason is that she's Lunar. But he's okay with finding Princess Selene. Hello! Earth to Torin. Selene is Lunar. If you want to find her, you're going to have to trust her. Why doesn't Kai question his logic (or lack of)? Because Torin is making zero sense. I really hope Torin isn't some leak for Levana. 

 *

 Aka- Kai is smarter than he gives himself credit for. If he started giving himself a little credit and stopped listening to everyone else, he might actually make a good /not stupid decision.

*

"Yes, exactly! And it's beautiful."
Thorne snorted. "If this is how you feel about a desert. I can't wait until you see your first real tree. Your mind will explode." 

*

But instead, he shook her -- hard.
"Stop it!"
Cress hiccupped. . . .
"The number one cause of deaths. What is it?"
"De-dehydration?" she said. . . .
"And what does crying do?"
It took a moment. "Dehydrates?"

Oh, Thorne. You're so romantic. *rolls eyes*


Tangled - Rapunzel and Flynn Rider
Picture it. He's blind. She's leading him. Yes?
 

Ugh! Why is Cress always swooning? I cannot stand that word. (But I will concede. The word "swoon" is in perfect characterization with Cress. Cress may swoon. Cinder would not "swoon." Grr. That word. Cinder might blackout, go unconscious, possibly faint. But swoon? No. Scarlet would not swoon. And dare I say? Wolf. *snickers* Just the thought is hilarious absurd.)



This makes me think so much of Cress! Tangled
Cress in the beginning



Half the time I picture Wolf, I picture Wolverine. I have no idea why.



We have tomatoes
You have no idea how much I love this



Honestly, Cinder, can't you look presentable for more than five minutes?"- Iko

In which, I relate to a fictional character. 




Tangled



Okay, so Torin told them about Kai's ID chip. So he's good, right? I hope Torin is a good guy. . .

*

It's okay, Cress. When it comes to Scarlet, Wolf is just as sappy romantic as you are. 

*

But he [Thorne] and Wolf could easily become liabilities, weapons to be toyed with by the thaumaturge, unlike Cress and Iko, who couldn't be controlled,"- This is very ironic. Cinder, I think you should regroup later, and teach  those who are immune to mind control some combat skills. Just saying. 



Tangled(:
Seriously, Cinder. You should invest.



Cinder could tear Wolf from Sybil's control by glamoring into Scarlet. That would be cruel. That would be so- THAT WOULD MESS WOLF UP SO BAD. Cinder, do not do that! Please?

 (So I had an evil author moment: What is the worst thing you can do to this character?)



Tangled!  <3




Yes! Yes, go after Sybil. Thank you, Cinder! Finally.

*

Oookay. Everyone is dying, the world is falling apart, and Thorne is kissing the girl. Why am I not surprised? He is so like Han Solo. Don't deny it. 

*

 "Make sure I don't shoot anyone we like."- I love this. I like how he says 'we.' Like Thorne and Cress are a couple now. I guess, kissing in the middle of a battle scene would make that official.


Cress by thehandydandynotebk.deviantart.com on @deviantART It's okay Cress. When it comes to Scarlet Wolf is as much of an over romantic sap like you. :)
I know. It's long. But it's the best part.

Whenever I think of/see the phrase, "Love you to the moon and back," I always think of Wolf and Scarlet. I know! I'm sorry, but I can not unthink it. Reality is in ruins! This is what books do to you. *sobs* I love books.

*

We shall fool them all, you and I.- This new girl, Winter, I guess? I like her. She's good. I can tell.

*

Oh. Wow. Why is it that I can so see the ever serious, always practical and prickly Jacin Clay falling dangerously in love with this innocent, mad Lunar princess?  


 Tangled.




"We're on a spaceship, Cinder. In space!" - Gee, he's a bright one, isn't he? ;) Seriously, though. Despite doing something as stupid as handing Levana the Eastern Commonwealth and, virtually following, the rest of the world, I love Kai. I really do. 


The Lunar Chronicles
I do feel a little sorry for him.



Oh my goodness, Cinder! Tell him who you are and get it over with it, okay? Tell him the plan, tell him everything, and he'll get it. Try communicating what matters for a moment and we might get somewhere.

*

"Although. . . Somehow, I always picture the Princess. . . I don't know. In a dress."- Come now, Kai. Don't be stereotypical. 

*

Kai, how is it possible for you to be so perfect to her? *sighs* Allow me a sappy Cress moment. Just one, okay? 

(In case you wondered, this was during The Kiss. You know, the one we've been waiting for, like, ever?! Might I add, that I love when authors make us wait for the kisses, instead of having the characters smooching every hour. *cough* Just had to throw in my romance pet peeves.)



Oh my gosh YES I've been waiting for this pic for SO LONG!




Man, I'm glad she told him about the newsfeed in her head or THAT would've been hard to explain.

*

Cinder couldn't help laughing, even exhaustedly, even just to cover up the screaming inside, as he bound her up in his arms. . . . with the strength of his heartbeat and the way she felt almost delicate when she was pressed up against him like this. 
Almost fragile.
Almost safe.
Almost like a princess.

Normally, I would excuse a part like this as sappy. I'd roll my eyes and move on. But this is Cinder. Do you get it? The I-am-not-a-princess Cinder. And she, Cinder, is feeling this. Okay? *internal flailing* This is one of the sweetest things ever. 

*

Wolf and Scarlet. *weeps in abandoned corner whilst gazing at the moon*

*

Okay, as good as the princess, feel-goody excerpt was. This just made me grin so much.

He shrugged against her. "The people of Luna don't need a princess. They need a revolutionary."
Cinder furrowed her brow. "A revolutionary," she repeated. She liked that a lot better than princess.

Yesss! 


15 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm so glad you liked it! You also managed to put all the different emotions/mood swings I was feeling when I read Cress into one post. So wow, congrats:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved it! It was the most beautiful book of ever! I've read some good books this year. But Cress has topped them, I think.

      Oh, yes. The mood swings. There are so many!

      Delete
  2. *nods* I approve of the Tangled stuff. I do. And I'm totally with you on the not smooching every hour bit--I'm just, not a fan of constant snogging. Oh, and "swoon" is the awfullest word ever. Like, excuse me while I go puke. But I agree, it does sort of fit Cress. Still, it's an awful word. When I am dictator, I will have it outlawed along with phrases like, "We're out of donuts" and "The world just ran out of printer paper". Anyway, this was totally a neat alternative to a book review.

    Thanks a lot though for reminding me just how impatient I am to read Winter. *wails* *dies*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      Yes, the overkill on the kisses drives me crazy. I've been thinking about doing a post on what turns me off in the romance department. And I think I've found point number 1.

      No. Not that word! I can't stand that word. But I do like your list of phrases to outlaw. It is quite nice.

      Sorry. Sort of. I mean, I had to share the pain with someone. *sulks*

      Delete
  3. I need to read these books you have convinced me.
    I really enjoyed your thoughts even though I had no idea what was going on.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! You will really like them. They are the best fairytale retellings of ever!

      Delete
  4. TANGLED AND CRESS. HOW TO MAKE THIS BETTER? I know, you can't. Just kidding. There is one thing that would make this better: WINTER BEING OUT ALREADY. Because seriously--all love to the Lunar Chronicles. I am with you on every page here! Especially the blindness bits. I like those muchly. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was on pinterest and randomly made a mental connection between Tangled and Cress. It is oddly strange who alike Cress/Thorne and Rapunzel/Eugene are alike. I quite like it actually.

      Yes! WE WANT WINTER! Please?

      Delete
  5. It's been a long time since I read Cress, so bear with me as I fangirl with you.

    YES. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE YOUR COMPARISON OF THORNE AND HAN SOLO. STAR WARS IS MY LIFE. XD *laugsh nervously* I totally didn't need to look up who Torin was. Not at all. (I totally did.) Sometimes the only way to express one's feelings about their bookish ships is too slam their fingers on the keyboard, but I shall not and try my hardest to keep my composure... THORNE AND CRESS: THOSE CUTIES. *regains composure after fangirling for five minutes* I have to say that my OTP of the series probably has to be Cinder and Kai because... do I really need a cohesive reason? XD

    And I have a groundbreaking confession to make... I skipped over Scarlet... *makes a fortress to protect self* I think I should go back and read it before Winter comes out... or is it too late to redeem myself?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's cool. I knew who Torin was, but I almost always forget his name. So when I started Cress I was like, "Torin, who's- who's. . . Oh, that guy. Riiight."

      Oh, yes. Cinder and Kai. I love them together. I would say they're my OTP also. Though recently, they've been rivaled by Wolf and Scarlet.

      What?! No, no. You must read it. It is definitely worth your while. You'll love it! It is never too late. You have to read it! It's supposed to represent Red Riding Hood, obviously, but I got some Beauty and the Beast vibes too. Actually a lot of B&B.

      Delete
  6. So this is possibly the most awesome thing I've read this week (and I've just finished a Maggie Stiefvater novel, so that's saying A LOT. I read Cress MONTHS ago, and now I need to read it again SO BADLY! But it's in storage and I don't know what to do *cries*. Also, I love the GIFs in your post... maybe I need to start including them in my versions!
    Beth x
    www.thequietpeople.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      I think Cress is my favorite book out of all them so far. They just keep getting better and better! It's one of those books when once you finish, you want to read it over again right then and there.

      Thanks!

      Delete
  7. OK I just skipped that whole post on seeing the word SPOILERS but, uh, I'll definitely read Cinder! (And then come back and read this post properly and fangirl, probably.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's cool.

      You'll read Cinder and I'll read the Raven Boys. *offers hand* Deal?

      Delete