Pages

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

The Tag of the Book Characters

Thank you Emily @ Emily Etc. tagged for the top ten book characters tag, thing. (Do you know how redundant I feel saying that I was tagged for a tag? There must be a more original way to say this. I feel like I'm betraying words.)



Sherlock Holmes


I love the BBC Sherlock Holmes. But you know what? I needed to read the books. It also helped that my guitar instructor is a Holmes fan. So I decided I had, had to read the books/stories.


Sherlock Holmes (Sir Arthur Conan Doyle) quote || It's always the little things :)
source


If you have not read them, then what are you waiting for? You are missing out. They are amazing! Everything about them. I love Sherlock in the books. His character is different. Very. He's still haughty, perhaps more so, but in a jovial, he-doesn't-seem-to-realize-it sort of way. Also, he is so complex more so than on the screen. Watson always talks about the different aspects of Sherlock. How he has so many various interests that he knows everything about. How he's both analytical and scientific but also artistic and creative.

He's also much nicer to John in general.



From the original Adventures of Sherlock Holmes. You should read the books; they're really good!
source


I love seeing the original Sherlock and comparing it with the BBC Sherlock. I see what parts of his character Cumberbatch kept and what he dropped. I see the parts he emphasizes. And the twists on the stories in the modern world as well as how they run with it and stray from the original- It all just fascinates me.

But I am convinced that nothing can beat the original. Although I am anxious about reading The Hound of Baskerville. Because that's my favorite out of all the BBC episodes (all nine. . .). What if I don't like the original as much? What kind of traitor does that make me?!



Elizabeth Bennet


I think everybody who likes Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen likes Lizzy. She's hilarious. Even when she insults someone there's a "sweetness and archness" to her that makes her in a way adorable. Right? (So I am actually reading this book now.)



Mr. Darcy: Maybe it's that I find it hard to forgive the follies and vices of others, or their offenses against me. My good opinion, once lost, is lost forever. Elizabeth Bennet: Oh, dear, I cannot tease you about that. What a shame, for I dearly love to laugh. Caroline Bingley: A family trait, I think. - Pride and Prejudice directed by Joe Wright (2005)
source



Also I love how when she realizes that she was in the wrong, she immediately is ashamed of it. Jane and Darcy makes excuses for her and her conduct. But she does not excuse herself in the slightest. She is disgusted by herself and repentant. She also determines to be wiser and learn from this experience.


Jaron

This guy here from the Ascendance Trilogy by Jennifer A. Nielson is full of sass. He also has some serious trust issues. Sometimes, he almost seems paranoid! Except that usually his fears confirm themselves. So perhaps he's just very intuitive while suspecting the worst from most people?

 For some reason, I like characters with trust issues. Maybe I relate in some small way or another.

I love how he does not apologize for being himself. Although he does apologize that being himself causes him to hurt those around him, especially those he cares most about (Because he won't let anyone else get close enough). Jaron is not a nice guy. He's arrogant and likes very few people. But when he likes a person, he cares about them more than anyone else could. He cares for them above himself, though he does have a strange way of showing it. . .


Just gonna throw you out this window.
Sorry, I couldn't help it.


Also, he thinks fast. I love smart characters whose minds work in half a blink. It's just refreshing. When I encounter a character like this I'm always, "Yes! Finally. Someone I can't keep up with. Someone who is a challenge!" I think this is also why I like Sherlock Holmes. Also, those books that leave you with half subtleties and just do not explicitly explain everything. Somebody, please, make me think!


Iko


Iko makes any scene funny. She's so cute. She's fluffy and romantic and nothing like me whatsoever. But she's so much fun.


"I was kind of brilliant."



What is hilarious and that I love so much is that it's a Cinderella retelling and the droid has the princess mentality.


Solvieg


She is from Icefall by Matthew J. Kirby. I related to her so much. I love how she's such a quiet, in-the-background introvert and yet she can still command the title of protagonist. She's a storyteller and I like that also.

She might have a few trust issues too.



Robin Hood

Who does not like Robin Hood?

Okay, perhaps Prince John and the Sheriff of Nottingham.

Well, you know. You can't please everyone.

I love just about any Robin Hood version. I love, love Lawhead's Hood. Bran is just rough enough around the edges, and yet he grows to care so much about his people. Scarlet is just devastating at the end, the inevitable kind. And I really need to read Tuck.

 But I also like the classic the Merry Adventures of Robin Hood by Howard Pyle. I cried at the end, people.



Gandalf

He's a novelty in the Shire. But amongst the other wizards and "greats," he's considered second rate. But I think the thing that labels him second rate is because Gandalf has different ideals than what is more traditional for the other wizards and "greats" to have.


.
source


Gandalf looks out for the little guy. He wants to include everybody.

Also when things get comfortable, people turn a blind eye to danger. They think it will pass over and it's no big deal. They want their own comfort and peace and don't want to move to put the danger back in its place.



.
source

 

Gandalf disturbes this peace. He doesn't get complacent. He tries to wake people up to the coming danger. He wants to do something about it. He won't sit quietly by while danger silently slips in between the cracks until it has a firm grasp around everyone's throats. Others think he's crying wolf but he's just calling out a very real threat before it takes over.
 

In this way, I want to be like Gandalf. I want to be a disturber of the peace. If I'm labelled weird or second rate because my beliefs aren't as conventional as those in the same profession as myself, then so be it. And I don't want to underestimate the little things (like good mornings).


What kind of morning is it?
source


Okay, you all might know this. But I just now got this realization. At this very moment. Gandalf likes to give the small people a chance. The people nobody else sees anybody in.

Kind of like how God uses the little things, or foolish things, in the world to the big things. 

Also, Gandalf gave his life for the Fellowship.

Wow. I never realized that before.

Okay, I'll be done with abstract parallels. But my mind has officially been blown today.


Emily from Emily of New Moon

You've probably heard of Anne of Green Gables. But have you heard of Emily of New Moon? She also by L. M. Montgomery. I like her even more than Anne, and everyone likes Anne.



7 Fictional Women Whose Life Stories Inspire Us | Samantha Ellis
source


Emily is just more relatable to me. I love how she writes. Her friends. How she resolves that since her love is to marry another, she just won't marry. (It is very strange him marrying another though, because the other and him were not a good match at all. I didn't get that, but aw, well.)

In comparison to Anne, Emily is a little more stable. Her emotions aren't so up and down and everywhere. Also there's something a bit more mysterious and dark about Emily than there is to Anne. Though it has been a long while since I've read Emily's books. (I can't find the first one. I must have the first one!) Emily will forever be one of my favorites.




Hans Huberman


From The Book Thief, Hans was my favorite character. He's very human and, humane. Does that make sense? I talked a lot about him here. You might want to skim to the end.


Hans Huberman <3  One of the best men ever. :')
source




Patrick Bowers and Tessa

This is a father/daughter duo. And they are amazing! Also I think books need more father/daughter duos (especially ones like Pat and Tessa). Just saying.

They aren't YA. They're from The Patrick Bowers Files by Stephen James. It's a mystery thriller and it's just- you need to go read it! Forget that it's an adult book. That has nothing to do with anything. Because you will love it all the same! 

 I love the mystery- the characters- the suspense.

Oh, I love suspense. Suspense is the best.

 Also I love Patrick and Tessa's relationship. They have it really rough at first and Tessa's kind of. . .  emotionally volatile. But she's also fascinating and very intelligent. She always surprises Patrick and they both have a dry, sarcastic side that either jives or clashes (though Tessa is a bit more acerbic).

"I'm going to take a quick shower and get cleaned up- I was almost burned alive this afternoon."
"Cool."
I stopped and stared at the door. "It's cool that I was almost burned alive?"
"That you were almost burned alive." The door opened a crack, and her head appeared. "If you had been, it would have totally sucked."
Oh. Well in that case. 
- The Knight

22 comments:

  1. Hans and Gandalf and Iko and Sherlock are all lovely characters! I really like how you put in thoughtful descriptions and meaningful pictures for each character, although I think Gandalf's thoughts on the words "good morning" were my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I love Gandalf's various interpretations on the phrase "Good morning." He never lets anyone take anything, not even words, for granted. XD It's always technicalities with Gandalf.

      Delete
  2. Love it! I'd forgotten I'd tagged you for this but I'm glad I did because this is a top notch post.

    I really should read the original Sherlock Holmes book. The Hound of Baskerville is my favourite episode, too!!! Ugh, but I really badly need to rewatch Sherlock. I really do.

    I do, of course, love Lizzie, even though she's pretty mean to her sisters at times. Is this your first time reading P&P?

    I need to read The Ascendance trilogy! (Seriously, if I got a pound for every time I commented that on someone's blog ... even just on your blog .... if you went through your comment archives there'd be so many from me saying just that re the trilogy. I need to just read them already.) I'm also intrigued by Icefall. Oh, and Cinder, I've wanted to read that for years ...

    I am of course very excited for reading the Emily books (the main character is called Emily, hello!). Also Hans. I love Hans. I love Hans a lot. I need to reread The Book Thief, like, now.

    Right so. Gandalf.

    Did you know that JRRT always maintained LotR was not an allegory? But it's sooo interesting to analyse! I'm sure that, even if he didn't mean it to be an allegory, it is anyway, because if you love God you can't *stop* that coming out in your writing. The LotR abstract parallels are so much more complicated than the Narnia ones, though. I mean, Narnia is straightforward. Aslan = Jesus. The White Witch = the Devil. Simple. But in LotR, things are far less obvious. Whilst Gandalf in one way fulfils a God role, for the reasons you have astutely pointed out (and yes, reading your realisations gave me goosebumps, because it's the first time I, too, have realised both those things), so does Aragorn! I mean ... "The Return of the King." Just taken on its own, that title surely points to Jesus ... and Aragorn is the king. He returns to end the war and the suffering, and to claim his bride (Arwen). Jesus will return to end this world and claim his bride (the church). So ..... where does that leave us??? O.o

    These things are so interesting to think about. I need to reread LotR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must read the Holmes stories at least. They're pretty short and it's easy to read one a day. The books that that have one mystery for the whole book, halfway through they tend to have a time jump. After they catch the villain, the villain gets to explain himself and sometimes this time jump can be full of heavy descriptions and may move slowly. That's my only negative with the books. Aside from that, it is all brilliance! I need to rewatch the series so badly! I've decided that sometime before college starts again, I must have a Sherlock marathon. :)

      This is probably like my sixth time to read P&P. I used to read it once a year during high school. It was like a personal tradition or something. But it's been a while between this last time, and I've noticed a lot of things I didn't before. But I'm uncertain as to what you mean about her being mean to her sisters? Perhaps I've reasoned that away? What part/s are you referring to? I can't believe I've missed something! Plus I plan on having a discussion on P&P later.

      What? No, Ascendance trilogy, no Cinder? Emily, you must read them!! They are so good! (Though I will say, that I haven't read the last of the Ascendance. Yet.) Icefall is very good, but I find that most people are not acquainted with it.

      After saying that, I have a confession. I haven't finished LotR yet. *hides face in shame* I've read The Hobbit and the Fellowship, but the others I've yet to pick up. I will resolve this before the year's end! Hopefully. . .

      I have heard that many times. But I think you're right. Every writer, no, every creator puts a little bit of himself into what he has created whether he means to or not. It is a manifestation of his beliefs, views, and feelings. It's usually very subconscious, and when it's subconscious is when it has the deepest impact on others, or so I think.
      I mean, do I get goosebumps thinking about Aslan representing Jesus. Eh, not really. But about Gandalf and the little people, and what you said about Aragorn, and- oh my goodness!- that title is like perfection now! Yes. Yes, I get so excited I don't know how I can sit still!

      I'm thinking about doing a post on this later, but I'll tell you anyways. Have you ever heard that saying, "If you're going to steal, steal from the best" or something like that? I've been thinking a lot about how fiction and perhaps the structures of specific genres have (for lack of a better word) plagiarized the Bible. Especially fairytales. Think Snow White, how she ate a forbidden fruit and basically died. Only true love was the cure. I'm almost convinced the "norms" of the fantasy genre are all subconsciously taken from the Bible. Most fantasies are about an exiled prince on a quest to regain his kingdom (like you said about Aragorn). Jesus, as an exiled Prince, (I mean, people didn't even recognize Him) on a quest to save His kingdom (He did talk a lot about the kingdom of God while He was down here, told parables about how one would give up everything to find it and keep it, that was for us, but also about Him, I think). It all makes me think about how almost every culture has their own legend of The Flood, just told differently. It's the same exact framework of the truth, just the details have been skewed.

      Anyways, I obviously need to collect my thoughts better and make stronger connections before I write an articulate post (or series of posts). But it makes me so excited and gives me goosebumps just thinking about it! Can I just fangirl about God? He's the master storyteller here! It's so stupendous and it all just fascinates me. I am in awe. I really just- Wow.

      Delete
    2. Wow, really?! I've only read it once .... I feel so inferior! XD It's definitely worth a reread.
      What I meant was, she's quite snarky about Kitty and Lydia; she and her dad, I remember, have at least one conversation about how foolish and shallow they are. The impression I got was, that Elizabeth thinks she's a bit superior to Kitty, Lydia and Mary, who all kinda represent vanity and insipidity (Lydia representing foolishness by running away with Wickham; Kitty is vain and shallow; Mary, poor Mary with her terrible singing, representing those with a lack of taste). But I don't know, to be honest; I could be misremembering. You're probably better placed to remember it than I am!

      Yes, yes, yes, make that resolve! Before I read them (April of last year) I was intending to do each book separately, but my friend who was forcing me to read them, who is a major Tolkien fan (like, she's learning Elvish - that's how major) forbade me. She said you HAVE to read them in a oner. ~shrugs~
      Ugh, but they're fantastic. Fellowship I found started a little slowly, but in Two Towers the action really picks up and it stays super intense!

      That's a marvellous post idea! I have thought the same thing, actually. Like, Harry Potter is a massive example: the battle between good and evil, the quest for dominion over death - "the last enemy to be defeated is death" - and the selfless hero who's willing to die for those he loves. I'm sure JKR had no intention of any sort of Christian allegory, but I guess that every great story is about good triumphing over evil, and the only way to make that relatable/emotionally relevant to your readers is to have love, and some sort of sacrificial figure. Thus, every good story must in some way follow the framework of the Gospel story.

      I didn't know that about the Flood legend, but that's really interesting - I'd like to hear more!

      Yes, we can fangirl together! And on that note I'm off to read John 12. Goodnight!

      Delete
    3. I haven't really read many classics outside of P&P. To be honest, I think it's the only classic, perhaps the only book, I've ever reread.

      Hm, I see what you're saying. I don't think that Elizabeth really thought herself superior to her sisters exactly. But she did recognize their flaws and she saw how their flaws could ruin the rest of her family by mere association. She does loose patience with them quite often though. Especially near the end of book. Though her father did consider superior to all her sisters, but that was his fault in not teaching them all properly. Also, I've never quite grasped why Mary's "flaw" is a flaw. I understand that she shows little sympathy and emotion. But she's trying her best to be want society considers "accomplished" lady. . .

      Exactly! Love and sacrifice! I love how you say. You should do that post! Good Vs. evil. Isn't that what everything is about in the grand scheme of things? God really is everywhere. It makes me think of this Tenth Avenue North song called All the Earth is Holy Ground.

      Delete
    4. Interesting. Her dad is a really complex character because at the beginning one feels quite sympathetic to him, mostly because he has to put up with so much with Mrs B, but as you keep reading you see how he favours Elizabeth, and he's really not a great father.

      Mary is quite a tragic character, I thought. I think her "flaw" is meant to be that she doesn't understand art and has no taste, and she sort of degrades art by her insipid performances, which are a pain to everyone who has to hear them. But it's really not fair, because yes, she's just trying the best she can to be accomplished. If she *didn't* sing/play, she'd equally get slated for not doing so. It's a vicious cycle. Poor, poor Mary. I feel really bad for her, and I don't think Lizzie's very nice to her.

      Huh, I'll look them up. Tenth Avenue North. ~repeats under breath to remember~

      Delete
  3. I'm familiar with most of them but I haven't seen the book versions! But I've been busting to read Pride and Prejudice.

    I liked the connection between Gandalf and Biblical God. Coincidence? Maybe. Have you heard of the similar connection between Aslan (Narnia) and Jesus? I'm absolutely convinced Aslan is supposed to represent Jesus Christ. Anyway, awesome post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pride and Prejudice is awesome! You should definitely read it. I'm hoping to have a review/discussion of it soon.

      I know I do too! While I was writing this post, the realization just hit and I got goosebumps and- I was in awe. I don't think it was done on purpose, but I don't think it was exactly a coincidence either. (Does that even makes sense?) It fascinates me very much. And I do know what you're talking about with Aslan and Jesus, and I think you're right. I'm pretty sure that one was done on purpose. :)

      Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Love Sherlock, and your opinion on Gandalf I agree with 100%.
    I have read one of the Patrick Bower's books when I was twelve so my memory isn't too good of it. I think it was Rook, and I remember enjoying it immensely. I should read them now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Go read them all! They are awesome! I'm hoping to read The Bishop soon. Is it weird that I like that they are named after chess pieces, because then I know which ones come first since I know the set up of a chess board?

      Also, I think it's cool that you read it at twelve. If I read The Rook at twelve, I would've been scared out of my brains! Nancy Drew was as scary as my books had gotten. :P

      Delete
  5. Oh, my! We have so many in common!
    I must say ( it's my inner hipster) that I read the books before I'd ever heard of the BBC show, I think even before it started. But my hipster stops there, I read them because I always loved Basil Rathbone's Sherlock Holmes.
    Also Elizabeth Bennet, I love her more than words can say! Gandalf, Hans Huberman!
    You managed to pick my most favorite characters in all the literary world!
    Though can I add another Book Thief character? Death, I know it's odd, and some might not even consider him a character, but I love him all the same.
    And I loved your 'abstract parallels', I think that was J.R.R Tolkien's motive in creating hobbits, little, ordinary people who can do big things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait, I know I am very ignorant here. But do you mean Basil Rathbone as in the Great Mouse Detective? That was my favorite show when I was a kid! But I'm thinking it's also the name of an actor . . .

      No, it's not odd at all! I actually had Death up there at first. But then I had to choose, Death or Hans Huberman? It was a hard decision.

      Delete
  6. I love so many of these, especially Iko! She's so hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I KNOW, I FEEL YOU. Sherlock was so surprisingly nice to John that it was weird at first ("Good man, let's go have a cup of tea." "That was impressive") Or maybe I've just gotten used to Sherlock being a jerk to everyone. XD Orrrrr, Anderson at least.

    I LOVE GANDALF. And I'm saving that image for the next time someone wishes me good morning. Just because, y'know? XD I LOVE ANNE OF GREEN GABLES TOO. So I'm deffo giving those books a try.

    ~Nirvana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a little strange at first. But I was prepared for it to be different- and I was not let down. XD

      Yes! I've always wanted to say that to someone when they say "Good morning." But I'm too lazy to memorize it. :P

      Delete
  8. GANDAAAAALF. (I like to say like Frodo says it with a really soft "alf" at the end, instead of usually with my Aussie accent which would end up "Gand-ULF" XD OKAY THAT WAS RANDOM BUT WHATEVER). I love Gandalf. I love that he likes to prod people quietly and calmly into greatness. :') Hans pretty much was AWESOME. I have so much love for him although *sobs* UM. *SOBS HARDER* YEAH I BASICALLY AM LOST IN FEELS. GOODBYE..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! That's exactly what Gandalf does. Kind of like a sheep dog. "Nope, not that way. Or that way. If you keep going eventually you'll get it right. No, it's not that way either, okay?!" And Hans. Yeah, yeah. . .

      Delete
  9. You have some of the best characters on here!! I love Hans, and Lizzy, and Gandalf, and Robin Hood, and everyone else. And now I'm not the only one I know who's read the Bower Files! *tries to high five you but misses and falls over instead* (Also, I struggle with the, I was tagged for a tag, so I always take the sneaky way out and say, "I was nominated for a tag". It soothes my little curmudgeonly heart.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and I forgot, Iko! I LOOOOOOOOVE Iko. That is all.

      Delete
    2. What?! *shocked face* You read the Bower Files? YES! I am so excited! It seems everybody just kind of rolls their eyes it me. "Ashley, those are adult books. We don't read that stuff. Just stop talking about it." But I love the Bower Files. . . Though I haven't finished them yet. But soon!

      Delete