Pages

Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Beautiful People: Two for One // Peril and Keth



Today I'm linking up with Sky @ further up and further in and Cait @ Paper Fury for Beautiful People. In the last post I asked what character you all wanted to read about.

I had a halfway answer for Peril (from the Oddball Trilogy) and the other half for a character from the weird idea. Being indecisive me, I'll comply with both. (There was also a Rocky request which I intend to fulfill in April.) So I'm going to split these questions in half, and mix them up. The first set will be for Peril. The second set will be for Keth.


Peril


.:

(That's not Peril. But she makes me think of her. One day, I'll get the gumption to draw her for you.)



Describe their daily routine.

Her routine is rarely, uh, routine? She's on the move a lot. She works as a Postal Traveler and is usually, well, traveling in order to deliver things. She also happens to be secretly on the run from. . .  her homeland's military. Routine would make her predicatable. Also, Peril bores with routine.


But she does wake early. If she's traveling with people, she prefers to be the first awake. Also, she'll most likely be the last to sleep. Aka: most people never see Peril sleep.


 Write a list of things they merely tolerate.

Bullies

Superstition

Oddball, at times

not Oddball, at other times (he's hit-and-miss irritating)

Sappy, sentimental stuff

Rocky's singing

people who are slow to "get it"

Herself


Can they swim? If so, how did they learn?


Once upon a time, she was part of this clan. Really it was just a bunch of misfit kids like herself. Anyhow, they were goofing around, as kids do, and with a playful push she was submerged underwater. Peril didn't panic at the notion that oh, she doesn't know how to swim. She managed and reached the surface, uh, clumsily, half choking, half laughing. They all spent the day in the water. So Peril taught herself. She never actually had a fear of the water as her friends and her were having too grand a time tackling, splashing, and dunking each other. Drowning never entered their young minds.




Gif


How do they react to awkward silences?


Most normally, Peril will fill these silences with some wild wandering of her mind. But that's usually her mask. Her mask has no reverence for a silence that's awkward for an important reason.

If by chance, it is an important sort of awkward silence (say someone died) and she's not pretending, then she'll keep quiet or find something that'll release the tension.


 Your character is having a rough day. . . what things do they do to make them happy again? Is there anyone they talk/interact with to get in a better mood?

She would probably talk to Skyler. Skyler and her are besties. Also, Skyler kind of has this therapeutic aurora about her. She's a good listener and very understanding. She's probably the easiest to talk to as well as the easiest going of the four. If Skyler wasn't so shy, everyone and their dog would confide in her.

Peril might, maybe just be around Oddball. You know. If they're on friendly terms and Oddball isn't' angry with her.


Oddball and Peril:

Oddball's presence is very calming. It also tends to make her more herself so. . . sometimes she actually avoids him when she'd rather be with him. No, it doesn't make sense. Peril tends to complicate things.


Peril:
source



Peril might also throw her knife. At a target. Not a human. Sometimes she goes off hunting. She'll go for a walk in the woods. Or even a run if nobody's around to watch. ANYTHING to move. 




Keth


So I took an unforgivable amount of time trying to find a Keth look alike. Pinterest, you have failed me.

Keth?:


Keth looks kinda like this guy and Andrew Garfield. But not. (Don't you love how much sense that makes?)

His hair is black (he might have dyed a lock of it some outlandish color). He wears glasses and a black leather jacket. Keth also smirks a lot, because he thinks he's cool and charismatic (no, Keth, geeky and charismatic). He kind of has this tech/hacker vibe.


Look what I've created! How I feel when finishing a good day of writing ;) gif



Have I talked about Keth at all? I haven't talked about the weird idea though (ssh, I'm not supposed to be thinking about it). But if you don't know what the weird idea is, it's the last book listed under The Lunacies page.

Rayne is the protagonist, and Keth is her older brother, her only blood relation. They grew up taking care of each other on the streets. This caption is Rayne's thoughts on their early days.

I love Keth. I could tell you so much about Keth.


What first inspired this character? Is there a person/ actor you based them off?

Don't laugh too much, okay?

Keth was originally based on Loki. His character really took on a more three dimensional shape after I saw the first Thor movie. Keth was a mix of Loki and some other character whom I feel like a completely idiot for forgetting. But he's not much like Loki anymore. Keth is not half as angry as Loki.

Loki is always this seething ball of rage. He's a coiled snake poised to strike.

Keth appears like a, oh. . . hm.

Keth might have been taken from The Mentalist? I think he was also based off Patrick Jane. So think.

 If you mashed Loki 


Mischief
source



and Jane together,


http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ly17p98JwI1rn8onlo1_500.gif
source



 then BAM!


Comic Balloon (JPG Image, Vector EPS, CS, action, background, bam, beam, blank, break, bubble, cartoon, cloud, clouds, comic, comical, crash, empty, explode, explosion, express, expression, fire, flame, flash, half, halftone, message, pattern, picture, pow, retro, style, tone):
source



You have a tangle of arms and legs.

Uh, you would have Keth.

But now he's a little more like Keth than anyone else.


:.:
source



 If they joined your local high school, what clique would they fall into?

Ahaha. I am so stealing Skye's @ Ink Castles answer.

The geeks and freaks.


 What is one major event that helped shape who they are?


Being a drama queen (yeah, he's one of those) Keth would tell you every little moment was a major event that shaped his life, but sheesh, ignore him. Please. He thinks all the world is his stage. Don't give him an audience too.


So I'll say the day that he and Rayne separated.


LOKI
source


8. What things do they value most in life?

I actually have to think about this answer. Which isn't a good thing because this is an important question here!

Uh, uuuuuuuuuuuuum. A list?


1) People

Keth cares about people.


2) Humanity


More like he cares about being humane.


...:
source



3) His grand master plan


Yeah, he's got one of those. He is a drama queen. Do you think he wouldn't have one?


 :
source


(That's the status of Keth's self esteem. There's no arrogance going on over here. Never.)



4) Becoming a stronger telepath


Oh, hello. Hi. Did I mention that the weird idea has superpowers? And Keth is totally not one of the most powerful and capable telepaths in the whole of the book series. *cough* At all. Don't even let the thought enter your mind.


5) Rayne


 Rayne is very important to him. Basically, they are not twins, but they have the same kind of bond. He's kind of possessive of her, despite that they have a heart crushing past and are separated for most of the series.



gif
source
(If you watch The Mentalist, you'll understand. If you don't watch The Mentalist, why ever not?!)


6) Norse myth

He has a thing for Norse myth. *shrugs* What can I say? The awesome part about writing a futuristic world is referencing the past world, right? 



Keth is a little twisted (half Loki, half Jane; what else would he be?). He has a strange way of showing he cares. Therefore you might never realize he cares about this stuff. Except, you know, I just wrote a list for you. . .


Do they believe in giving people second chances? Do they have any trust issues?

Second chances, oh yes. *grins*

Watch out though. His idea of second chances may not be what you have in mind.

Does he have trust issues? I've never really thought of that. Rayne is the one with trust issues galore. But Keth? Yeah. I guess he does have a few of those hiding under that charismatic smile. The dude has control issues, so a few trust issues might be a side effect, right?



Have you done Beautiful People? OH and, if YOU HAD A SUPERPOWER, what would you want it to be?! I'd want to be telekinetic and invisible, please and thank you.

7 comments:

  1. I love this post! Everything about it really, I saw Peril's name and I got so excited. Precious Peril, and Keth. I love that guy, like no really I am in love a Loki/Jane character *screeches*

    Also seeing that you stole my answer, made my day :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm glad you like Keth. He's probably one of my favorite characters of all time. (Don't tell Oddball, okay?) Gah! I love Keth. *screeches also*

      Yes, it just fits him so perfectly.

      Thank you! This comment made me smile. :D

      Delete
  2. Keth looks so cool!!! A mixture of Loki and Jane (although I'm not 100% sure who Jane is, but I can connect the dots from your picture) would be totally awesome. Also, Andrew Garfield is awesome. Just saying. Hacking/nerd/tech characters are some of my favourite characters, especially when they're sarcastic.

    Argh, the superpower question is so hard. Can I say invisibility and flying? I'd love, love, LOVE to be able to fly but that could get quite awkward in some situations. So I'd fly and be invisible at the same time so people don't shoot me down or something embarrassing like that. (Because what's the point in flying if you have to avoid other people seeing you?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! Yes, Andrew Garfield rocks. He's an awesome actor. I'm glad you like Keth. He probably has plenty of sass and sarcasm to be under the nerdy category. XD

    Oh, that sounds like a good combination. Fly could be really awkward if people were watching you. And a person flying around would definitely draw people's attention! Awesome choices. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heyyyy! That "picture" of Peril looks suspiciously like you. Just sayin'.

    I love Peril so much. I can tell that my shippy nerves are going to be burnt out and frazzled by the end of the series. I feel that there'll be a lot of me shouting "ODDBALL JUST KISS HER" whilst the two of them awkwardly dance around each other and hurt themselves/each other because they have no idea what else to do.

    I'm so looking forward to reading her with Skyler.

    Superpowers?!?!? I don't think I knew this! Maybe I did and I just forgot, but I feel that I would've remembered ...? Telepathy, that's so cool. I really like Keth. (And Keth is a great name.) What powers do the others have? Also, NORSE MYTHS HECK YES. I've had a pleasant morning naming things/people, and I'm using Old English etymology for Ancient Ivarian. Which is super super fun.

    I love the caption of their relationship, heck, I love all these pictures, and I may have just spent some time stalking your weird idea board? You're welcome. ;)

    I look forward to Rocky! :D

    Oh and my superpower would be teleportation I think but also flying? NO NO NO UNDERWATER BREATHING / SIGHT / PRESSURE AND TEMPERATURE CONTROL LIKE PERCY JACKSON HAS, SO I COULD SWIM IN THE SEA FOR HOURS WITHOUT COMING UP AND SEE EVERYTHING AND NOT DIE. YES PLEASE AND THANK YOU.

    ~ahem~ Getting a bit carried away ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ssh, Em. Besides that's only a stand in picture for her, she doesn't look like that. Her look is not subtle it's more overwhelming. But she does have red hair, yes.

      Heh, this will probably be true. They do a lot of awkward dancing around each other. You know that moment when you're writing and you think, "And this is the scene wherein the readers will hate me"? I've done that, uh, multiple times now. #sorrynotsorry

      You didn't know? I did originally introduce it that way (forever ago) and it is in synopsis/blurb thing. BUT I don't talk a lot about the weird idea, so it's easy to forget there are superpowers in it. XD Norse myth rocks! That sounds like a lot of fun!

      I'm glad you like that caption. It needs editing. *gasps* But it will probably find it's way into the story somewhere, sometime, when I actually get to wRITE THIS THING!

      AGH! WATER POWERS LIKE PERCY WOULD BE THE BEST THING EVER! I didn't even think of that. Awesome choice!

      Delete
    2. Not subtle more overwhelming. Sounds like my kinda look/gal.

      I do know that moment, although not so much in a shippy context (that's more for book 2).

      "I don't talk a lot about the weird idea" what a liar! I feel like I can't turn round without bumping into Mikel or Savannah ... ! XD But yes, it is exciting that you will be writing. (Ha, I'm basically a poet.)

      RIGGHHTHT?!??? Last week I ordered a wetsuit which should have arrived when I get home from holiday so I am now ready to brave the icy spring temperatures of the lake near my house! CALL ME PERCY!

      PS It's nice to be back here, you have been gone many moons. Or maybe just a few days but I feel like I've not been here for a while. Maybe it's because I'm on holiday and therefore have actually been keeping up with blogs rather than my normal "run in three weeks later" trick. ~shrugs~

      Delete