Pages

Wednesday, July 26, 2017

The Book Sacrifice Tag

Thank you Genni @ Ready, Set, Read! for tagging me with The Book Sacrifice.*bites nails* But books!


1. An Over-hyped Book


[Situation: You’re in a store when the zombie apocalypse hits. The military informs everyone that over-hyped books are the zombies only weakness. What book that everyone else says is amazing but you disliked do you start chucking at the zombies?]


The Fault in Our Stars

Don't hate me. I'm saving you from zombies after all.



via GIPHY, it's ok now




2. A Sequel 

[Situation: A torrential downpour. What sequel are you willing to use as an umbrella to protect yourself?]
 
 Books don't make good umbrellas. So what's the point?
 Ok, ok.

Raging Star

I think at least? I mean, it's not actually a sequel [I make my own rules]. It's the last of a trilogy. I'm not sure what I think about it. It wasn't awful, but it could've been better. And so much shorter.

3. A Classic

[Situation: You’re in English class and your professor raves about a Classic that “transcends time.” If given the opportunity to travel back in time, which Classic would you try to stop from ever publishing?]  


 via GIPHY Doc, Back to the Future

 Have you not watched any sci-fi movies!? You don't mess around with history. That is NOT ok. One thing leads to another and you risk seeing yourself see yourself and thus creating a time paradox. 


 Sherlock goes BOOM (click to see gif)

I haven't a clue what the implications of a time paradox are, but it sounds catastrophic.

4. A Least Favorite Book

[Situation: Apparently global warming = suddenly frozen wasteland. Your only hope of survival for warmth is to burn a book. Which book will you not regret lighting?] 
James Joyce's Dubliners
It's not awful, but it's not life and breath as a certain professor possibly believes.
Also, my middle grade English textbooks.
Probably my community college history textbook too.

Are we seeing a pattern?


So what book would you chuck or burn in the name of survival? 
[Or just steal the tag and leave a link to your post!] 

5 comments:

  1. Ha ha love this tag! The gifs were perfect, as Sherlock usually is for any situation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sooo I've never read any Joyce but when I was in Dublin it was Joyce this Joyce that and made me quite keen to, uh, pick up Ulysses. Said no one ever. No but really, I would like to! Joyce always makes me think of A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth, one of my fave books (as you probs know because when do I ever shut up about it? Rarely). In that book there is a babe called Pran who is an English teacher at the uni in ... uh ... Brahmpur? OK so I just Googled Brahmpur and turns out it's a fictional town Seth created! Who knew?! Not me, very ignorant of Indian geography as I am! Anyway, Pran works in the English faculty and is pushing to get Joyce on the syllabus, but the others in the department resist him because they want to keep everything as it's always been. And he's like, "guys, can't we be fluid and exciting like literature is?!" (This is in 1950.) Anyway, I've lost my train of thought, except that I love A Suitable Boy ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I read Dubliners, or some of it, by Joyce in a class. He said that he wanted to show the Irish a mirror of who they were with Dubliners or something like that. It's full of a lot of social issues and such (obviously, what else are you going to read in college?). It's really amazing how nuanced Joyce's writing is. He doesn't use large or fancy words. He's not particularly lyrical. But there's so much meaning in every little word, everything he writes or doesn't write (like not giving us a character's name, withhold info from us, etc.). I admire that, and it was interesting. Buuuuut also depressing and a bit dry. To be honest, the class is kinda what ruined it for me? It wasn't that great of a class experience. I've never read Ulysses though.

      I guess, I might have to read A Suitable Boy then. XD

      Delete
  3. Lovely post! :)

    Would you mind checking out my book reviews blog at El's Book Reviews and possibly give it a follow? Super excited to read your posts!

    - El

    ReplyDelete