Pages

Saturday, January 23, 2016

Starting Sparks: Free by Switchfoot

So Emily @ Ink Inc. and myself at right here co-host a writing prompt link up. Today I'm going to give my entry.





Soooo, I didn't actually use the lyrics of the song. I stuck a Switchfoot album on shuffle and wrote to the first song that played. Whatever it made me think about is what went on the page.




So here goes.

*deep breath*




Some people talk about saving yourself. You’re the only one who can help you. And I get it. You can’t solve your problems until you decide to actually do it, and no one can do that but you. You have to have the will. You have to do the hard part and make the sacrifices that are necessary. You can’t wimp out about it. Nobody can do all the work for you while you sit by. 

But there’s a flaw here. How do you save yourself, from yourself? You are your enemy. I mean it. We are victims of ourselves. So how do you untie yourself when you tied yourself up? Do you think you’re going to let you go? Just like that? You’re going to let yourself walk out of there free, no fight required, just ask nicely? Um, no. You are your arch enemy. You are not nice like that. You are not kind to you. 

You are a monster. 

So how do you tell monster you to back off and let you live another day? 

You don’t. 

God does. 

God is the only one who can tame monster you. Yes, tame. Monster you will always be there, unfortunately. Because you are you still. Still human. A coin has a head and a tail. One can’t be separated from the other without destroying the coin. God will not destroy you. Neither of you. But He will tame monster you. 

There’s a catch though.

You, the tied up you, has agree to let Him help. And that means surrendering monster you to Him. Letting Him hold your monster leash, letting Him control monster you. If you take you from Him, you’ll end up tied down with your monster self ready to eat you whole. 

So yeah, you still have to have the will. You still have to do the hard part. You still have to make the sacrifices necessary. But don’t worry. 

You will be in good hands.

 ______________________________________________


I wasn't expecting that either. This is awkward. I have no idea how to write devotions.

*panic attack*  WHAT IS HAPPENING?!

Lilo and Stitch
source




It seems I ought to let God control my monster of self-doubt and insecurity. Which suspiciously looks like a Stitch. 

Stitch aside. With all sincerity. I read once that we write the story that we need to read. I needed to read this.

______________________________________________



P. S. If you want to join the link, you can do so here. It ends with the month. 

15 comments:

  1. This is so uplifting. It made me think really deep to. I think, after a period of depression coming and going, that I grew to afraid to have faith in.. anything, really. And I had no idea how to save myself from myself - so I kept distracting myself from myself with music, art, films, and basically bombarding my senses with information that would stop be from being alone with my thoughts.
    This is a great link up! It's a shame I won't have time to take part, but if it's monthly then maybe next month! =]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it! It is not what I normally write, so very out of my comfort zone. But somehow it felt, right. I'll be praying for you if you'd like.

      Yep. It's a monthly link up. I hope you do get to join sometime! I'd love to read what you post.

      Delete
  2. Wow. That was really beautiful. I like how you said that we are our own archenemies, and I totally can think of some times when that was true for me. I'm so glad that we are in good hands, like you said. :)
    Also, I'm so excited about this link up! I'll be adding my post tomorrow, and I can't wait. :D Thanks, Ashley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think about that lot. The irony of how we are our own enemies (I think the whole "archenemy" thing was the touch of Sherlock I can't resist to add). :) But yes, so true for myself too.

      Yes! I read it! It's perfect. I love the twist. Just perfect and the marshmallow. MARSHMALLOWS! I guess, I don't actually like to eat them a whole lot because they are so sweet, but for some reason they're appealing to me? But they are best over a campfire.

      Delete
  3. Wow, that was good, and thought-provoking. Thanks for sharing, Ashley, I enjoyed reading it! And that writing prompt link-up sounds good; I might have to join in sometime! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!
      I hope you get to join sometime. It's fun! :)

      Delete
  4. Lovely post! Although unfortunately, monsters have been running in my head for a long time. Maybe it's because I'm an atheist. :') Only kidding. I doubt my monsters will ever leave, to be honest. Also I do like the imagery of someone sucking out the monster in you (kind of like a dementor but good...an anti-dementor to preserve your soul?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. "You are your enemy. I mean it. We are victims of ourselves." I love these lines. I love the use of the second person.

    So, are Switchfoot a Christian band? (I'm not really listening to the lyrics because a) it's quite quiet bc I'm in someone else's house and b) I'm, uh, reading this.)

    "Inside this shell there's a prison cell"

    This was really important to read, also. I get so panicked sometimes swimming through the black tar of my own sin, and I have to remind myself that I can't lift myself out. I HAVE to give monster me to God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've been thinking a lot about this. We are victims of ourselves is kind of a topic that haunts my thoughts since the day I first thought, which was a couple years ago. But yes, the second person was a bit of experimentation.

      I wouldn't call them a Christian band exactly, because their music doesn't always fit into the Christian box. (I hate boxes.) I would say they are Christians who are band. I often see subtle Christian themes/struggles behind their lyrics, but its expressed more realistically than music from the genre Christian box. Does any of that even make sense?

      Me too. I always, always have to remind myself of this. Even when I think I know already and I don't want to hear it again. I need to be remind then too.

      Delete
    2. And I also! I remember we had a comments convo about this on that alien story I posted? "They forgot to pretend to be human."

      That makes total sense, like CS Lewis didn't per se write Christian fiction but rather he was a Christian writing fiction. I don't write Christian fiction! ... but I do?

      That's probably the time I need to be reminded most!

      Delete
    3. Yes! I remember that.

      *high fives* Completely relate!

      Delete