Pages

Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Letter to a Character

Daron is a minor character in Oddball the Sequel, but he's very imporant in the first third of the book. I was having trouble with him.

So I wrote him a letter. Well, I say letter but. . . I kind of just talked to him. . . in writing.


Dear Daron,

     You are crazy.

     No, seriously.

     I don't know what to do with you. You're not quite like I expected. Which I guess, is good. You're supposed to be unexpected. There ought to be no way to prepare a person for you. 

     They say no tears in the writer, no tears in the reader.

     So no surprise in the writer, than none in the reader. Is that what you're going for?

     I'm not sure what to say except, for some reason I expected for there to be more of you in the book. But I don't think that's possible. 
  
     Maybe the foursome will think that they can enlist your help to get rid of the whatever it is.

     I forget if your hair is part purple or part blue.

     Forgive me.

     I think this calls for a bit of sludge tea. Might I have some? Thank you.

     It'll help me think. Rather, it will distract me from the problems you are giving me; therefore by shoving them into arbitrary thought I will solve them better.

     Stop looking at me like that.

     No, I haven't solved anything yet! How can one accomplish anything properly with you staring at them so!? See, look, I can't even drink my tea.

     Hand me that towel. Thanks.

     You're still staring.
 

     Yes, I wish to be a novelist. And you had better be glad of it or you wouldn't exist. 

     What? Well, yes.

     What do you mean? I'm writing.

*sighs*

     Daron, you are unbearable.

     Fine. I will go write the actual sequel. Yes. Yes, you were right.

     I'm going to write now stop bothering me. Okay, what?

     Really? That's why you're interrupting me? Because. . .

     My favorite colors are blue, green, and black. Okay? Are you happy now?

     Because I'm indecisive! Alright?

     No, I can't spell 'indecisive.' There's this thing called spellcheck. I know you don't know what that is. Now may I please go write?

     Well, thank you for your permission.

     Have a wonderful day, Daron. . .I'm incorrigible! Now see-

     Because I can't spell? Is that all?

     Well, I know people who are rumored worse. Not that I'm going to name anyone.
 
     Uh, huh.

     Yeah, you too, Daron. Thanks for the tea. And the staring contest. Glad you had a good time.

     Just stop smirking and get back to your work so I can get to mine.

     Shut up.

     Okay fine, yes, I do sincerely like you. Oh, well thanks. Do you even know any other writers? Yeah. Yeah.

     Later, Daron.


                                           Your exasperated writer, 

                                                          Ashley G.


6 comments:

  1. Omigosh this is perfect.
    A letter what a great idea, I'm happy to see I'm not the only one who talks to my characters.
    XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      Yes, it is only normal if you're a writer to talk to "imaginary" people. I love writing! It gives you the excuse to do so many thing that are. . . eh, strange? ;) When I actually talk about my characters to my parents they just get this weird look on their face and glance at each other like, "Ashley's gone of the deep end, doesn't she know these people aren't real?"

      They are. They must be. Real.

      Delete
  2. What a great blog post idea you are so creative I wish I was like that. You are the kind of blogger that inspires me everyday to write my blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so beautiful! Why Daron? is there a meaning behind it? c:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      Not exactly. I was just having are hard time bring his character out in the book, so I "had a talk" with him. *cough*

      Delete