Pages

Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Living Life to the Lees -- Tennyson // Footnotes


 "Looking for someone to share in an adventure."


Recently, I've been wanting to read poetry more often. I know, I know. Half of you probably think that's absolutely dull. And I don't blame you. Poetry, especially that by classical authors, can be a little difficult to wrap my head around. It seems so cryptic sometimes.
In one of my classes this semester, I read Tennyson. While I don't always like the subject matter of some of his poems, I love Tennyson's way with words. His poetry is always smooth and lyrical. Here's a few of my favorite lines from his Ulysses. I'll possibly take it a bit out of context


 via GIPHY


 [not completely so don't breathe fire just yet] and, lucky you, I'll omit the extensive analysis of my fellow classmates.

Some background on the poem as a whole: Ulysses is speaking to his men about setting sail to seek more adventures. He's already returned home from the Trojan War. He's no longer one of those youths whom people expect to seek quests and daring deeds.


"I cannot rest from travel; I will drink 
Life to the lees"
lines 6-7

I heard this line in an English class wherein we didn't actually read the whole poem. It was just something that my professor quoted, and I loved it then as I love it now. "Lees" is the very dregs of a cup. I like this idea of getting the most out of life. Never stopping just because it's expected of you.


via GIPHY


Everyone seems to have this idea of what your life timeline is supposed to look like [graduate, go to college, get a good job, get married, have kids, retire // stereotypically go from passionate, to cynical, realistic, nostalgic, then useless]. To me, that seems to call for a lot of settling for less. It's odd to me that we're taught that this settling for less is somehow the best thing and something we all ought to look forward to. Of course, to some people it's not actually settling; it's what they want. And that's great for them. But I wonder how many people might secretly want something else.



"And this gray spirit yearning in desire 
To follow knowledge like a sinking star, 
Beyond the utmost bound of human thought."
lines 30-32

I'm love learning, and I certainly believe there is no age limit to it. To all those elder people [I say that with respect] who say that they would've loved to learn [insert hobby here] but think that it's too late, Ulysses is telling you, you're never too old to be fabulous.


 “ Welcome Friends!! I haven’t had much time to talk while trying to play catch-up here. Both Yule and Christmas arrived faster than I expected. Once the leaves are gone, the days are short and the...



Also, that those last two lines. I'm a great advocate for thinking. Thinking is cool. 


You know, because I'm- smart. You believe that, right?
[can NEVER keep a consistent theme]

"Old age hath yet his honor and his toil. 
Death closes all; but something ere the end, 
Some work of noble note, may yet be done, 
Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods."
lines 50-53

This relates a bit to the previous one. Some elder people whom I've met seem to have this mentality that they don't have any future and thus think they ought to stop living life [I'm not speaking literally].


 via GIPHY


No way! Now I understand if someone can't physically do or learn the the things that they want. But truly? Elder people can be great too! Even you are physically inhibited, that doesn't mean you have to be useless or boring. There is so much potential, if anything wisdom, to be found in elder people. I've met a few who are determined to live life to the very lees. And I love being around them and learning from them.

So here's the last of the poem.


"We are not now that strength which in old days 
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are-- 
One equal temper of heroic hearts, 
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will 
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." 
lines 66-70


via GIPHY


What do you think? Should/can learning, trying new things, and seeking "adventure" be a life-long pursuits? What's your favorite poem? Or your least favorite?

3 comments:

  1. This is such a cool post! I'm a big fan of poetry, so I loved seeing your interpretations of each line and how excited you got about them! <3 I tend to prefer modern poets, though, like Auden or Kerouac, but I have a special spot in my heart for Rudyard Kipling. He's best known for The Jungle Book, but I think his poems are his best works. My all-time favorite poem, however, has to be "old age sticks" by E.E. Cummings. Once you figure out how to read it, it's downright hilarious!

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post was so encouraging. I want to be one of those people!
    Life to the lees, sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that poem! And this post! And the gifs! (Especially that sneaky Spider-Man one :P)

    In terms of poetry, I can't say I'm much of a fan of classic poetry. Maybe it's because I've never found an author I've clicked with or I've never been taught how to properly read poetry (thanks school, minus ten points to you). But I really really (really) like contemporary poetry. Like Savannah Brown? I'm currently in love with her work. I can connect to contemporary poetry more than a lot of classical poetry and maybe that's why? I dunno. Anyways. Lovely post :)

    ReplyDelete