Pages

Saturday, August 20, 2016

23 Bookish Facts

This post is brought to you by Cait @ Paper Fury. She gave me permission to thieve her question list away [which you should read]. SO I THIEVED IT! Her orginal post had 30 questions, but uh, I'm lazy.

[Don't tell me it's not thieving if I've gotten permission. I'm a polite dragon, okay? I thieve with courtesy.]


1) Currently Reading?

The Death Cure! Do you know how long I've been putting off waiting to read this? I actually own the book. But I heard spoilers and I don't want them to be true and, and-- I don't want it all to end.

Besides I always procrastinate the books I know I'll like, because . . . logic.


https://www.pinterest.com/pin/379850549803741433/



2) Book That Impacted You?

That's not a difficult decision.

Okay, I'll pick one. The Rose Daughter by Robin McKinley. The POV was not perfect. I think it started out omniscient, but after Beauty went to the Beast's castle, it switched to deep POV? Which is. . . not normal.

BUT here's the thing. The deep POV part was very, very deep. Beauty outright asked questions via internal monologue. She would mentally address questions to the Beast, and--

There were no italics.

Guys, this is monumental!

Do you know how happy that made me? That's how I write my internal monologue. Some people are like, "I love this. Italicized internal monologue is so unnecessary. Keep it up!" But most people are like, "You need italics. What is wrong with you? Why can't you be normal?" And while I know that, no, I don't need italics, it's nice to see another author pull it off. Sure, Imma still gonna do my thang, but the extra affirmation is refreshing.

3) Hyped vs Backlisted titles?

 I tend to procrastinate hyped books, soooo the hyped books end up at the back of my list. Yeah?


 .


"Ashley, you're not funny."

Well, I have to try.

4) Current Series Crush?

Oh. Okay. Uuuuum. I want to say Red Rising, but I've only read the first book. Does that count?

Oh, and The Lunar Chronicles! That is a must read! *shifty eyes at all you TLC slackers*


 Basically:


5) How Strong is Your Shelf-Control Around Books?

Are you asking if I flail and run around like a lunatic at the sight of one?

Because I *might* internalize that. . .


 Mary is awesome

At the bookstore, I'm very picky. I only want to buy books I know I'll like. But at the library I will borrow ten books and DNF six or eight.

6) Plot vs Character?

Character all the way!

Characters can drive Plot [because Plot is a vehicle that takes you places].

But can Plot drive Characters?

.


Some may argue that Plot can drive Characters, but you usually end up with a poorly written story and bad character development. Aka: bad plot and bad characters. So no. Plot does not drive Characters, well. 


7) Would You Marry Your Bookshelf?

I'm in the middle of a move, so my books and I are unattached at the moment. But when I find one up to standards, I'll consider committing.


8) Do You Ever Get Sick of Reading?

There are those rare times, yes. It happens. [I here you gasping. Stop that.] So I do other stuff and then I miss my books. What do they say? Absence makes the heart grow fonder, or some such sentimental rot.

9) Random Bookish Memory?

The homeschool moms used to laugh at me on Park Days because I would read and swing simultaneously.


 Moriarty



10) Character You Relate to?

So I relate to characters here and there, but I rarely relate to a character fully. Besides, I can only think of one right now.

This is going to sound bad. But here it is any way.

Saba from Blood Red Road. She's a loyal misanthrope. She doesn't let people get close to her often, but when she does, she cares about them with everything that's in her. But I also really related to her "I got this," "leave me alone" attitude. She wanted to do everything alone, but people kept following her around and being clingy. In the first book that was a good thing. But in the second book the crowd following her only brought more trouble [especially at the end; Jaaaack!]. I really don't like/understand clingy people. Which is rare. Even if I can't personally relate to someone, I can usually at least see where their coming from. But clingy people? They are another species whom I avidly avoid.

11) Controversial Opinion?

I normally get sick of the 'hot topics,' like Diversity, SFC, or Mental Illnesses. I'm not saying these aren't important topics. THEY ARE IMPORTANT. But they shouldn't be the sole purpose of a story. Why don't people bash me over the head with a book already? Oh wait, they are.

It's even more irksome when someone suggests you change your male character to a female character. Why? Because your male character is a swordsmaster, and you know that the suggestioner has SFC on the brain.


 .


I'm just saying. It's fine to drive your bandwagon, but don't run people over with it. Pedestrians have right of way, okay? [aka: Story trumps all.]

12) NOTP?

I'm just going to say Phantom of the Opera [yes, it's a book]. I don't ship Christine with anyone. Eric is a murderous psychopath and I wouldn't ship him with my worst enemy. Rauol is a limp, whiny noodle and I would ship with my worst enemy. Christine doesn't need either of them.


.


I'd say she ought to run off on her own and sing somewhere else, but unfortunately she lived in a time wherein a girl traveling alone was scandalous. That's the last thing she needs in her messed up life. Sorry, Chrissy. There's just no hope for your love life. Thank Gaston Leurox.

13) Why Didn't I Love This?!

I really, really wanted to like Splintered by A G Howard. I mean, the world building? ON POINT! Wonderland was just enough creepy and just enough charm. It was fantastical and alluring! Also, the stories behind some of the Wonderland characters like was interesting.

But the main character. . . meh.

The love interests? What is wrong with the MC? Why are these her choices, hm?

The romance? Way over the top. I'm sorry. I tried.

But I can't.


14) Hardcover vs Paperback?

I love the approach-ability that paperbacks have, but I hate it when the cover curls upward. Hardcovers are hardcore and durable, plus they look amazing without their jacket. [Don't look at me like that.] But they tend to be clunky and large; which makes me feel more noticeable when carrying them in public.

The pros and cons of each balance out. So I choose option C. Both.

15) Do You Ever Like Villains?

Who? Me?

16) Cringeable Reads?

You mean, the ones I DNF?

[No mercy in this dragon heart]

17) Where Do You Get Your Books From?

The books I own? I used to receive one book on my birthday or during Christmas. But I realized that when my family asks what I want and I only give them book titles, guess it! I receive more books because nobody has a clue what to get me besides.

 I love to wander bookstores, especially secondhand ones. I just love to be AROUND books. But there aren't many book stories here. So recently, I succumbed to purchasing a few books online.
One of them was Every Breath, of which I haven't been able to find a physical copy anywhere. So I'm super excited!


.


18) Haunting Read?

I know I've mentioned Cait two times in this post already. But The Dead Boy and the Paper Cut that she posted on Wattpad was super good. I read it as she was posting it, so I only got to read a chapter a week. [At times I made myself suffer through two weeks so I could read two chapters at once, again, logic at its finest.] And when I couldn't read it, I was thinking about it. It's really rare when a book evades all my life. My brain has been on a compartmentalizing kick. So when I say I thought about it while washing dishes, before bed, at work, and so forth, I mean it.


 I rather like Lestrade
[BBC Lestrade is so underrated.]

19) Annoying Character Qualities?

1) Needy, whiny characters.
2) Clingy, I'm-gonna-follow-you-the-rest-of-your-life characters.

3) Manipulative characters who think they own everybody's soul.

4) Characters who are mean because they enjoy humiliating people, and feel bigger when they bring others lower. I want to shove them out a window.


20) Least Favorite Genre?

Romance.

Historical Fiction I can read if it's not heavy on the history. OR if it's set in the Dark Ages and makes me feel like I'm reading a fantasy [but there are no dragons *cries*].

Contemporary. I have a long DNF relationship with contemporary. We hates each other.


21) Best Tropes?

Lost royalty. I can see it from a mile away and I still adore it. Something's wrong with me.

Guy-girl friendships that stay friendships. [Oh, wait this isn't popular enough to be a trope. WHY NOT?]

Realistic sibling relationships.


 Mummy Holmes: the only person to terrify both the World's Only Consulting Detective and The British Government. Happy Mummy's Day 2016!<< They are such children.


Heights. I love heights. It's official; something's wrong with me. So anything with flying or especially climbing.

Anything hilarious. I am in.

 Clever plans. Give me all the brilliance!

Dragons. You didn't see that coming. Such majestic beasts.


.


Revenge.

Ships. The kind that sail the seas, people. Not your OTP. 

Snarky characters. Lemme have the book!

Fairytale retellings.

Open/Bittersweet Endings. They're realistic.

Oh, and the squishy, socially clueless characters. Yeah.


.


22) Have you abused a book?

I've let the wrong people read my books and abuse them. Apparently, I'm a bad book parent. 


23) Bad Bookdragon Side Effects?

The hoard grows faster than I read.



So tell me: what are your favorite tropes?  Is there a book that you really wanted to like, but it didn't work out? And be honest now, do you go into a flailing at the sight of a book?

22 comments:

  1. Discworld will forever be my ultimate series crush; I'll fight anyone who dislikes it. XD
    I agree exactly with the plot < characters thing!
    RAUOL. Fam, don't even get me STARTED on that idiot.
    I definitely relate to Hermione Granger - school is extremely important to both of us, we stick to the rules, and untamable hair, and have a habit of punching the Draco Malfoys of the world. XD
    BBC LESTRADE. HE'S SO AMAZING, ASDFGHJKL.
    I have the same problem with contemporary - compared to all the fantasy I read, contemporary novels usually end up boring in comparison, even if they're well-written.

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hm, so I looked up Discworld on Goodreads and there seems to be a bazillion of them [that's a close estimate, right?]. Sooo, if I wanted to try them, which one do I start with?
      So -- excuse me while I commit book geek treason -- I've not read Harry Potter. BUT I do hear a lot about Hermione and I can see why people love her so much! She sounds so awesome!

      Lestrade, yes!! I think he sometimes gets overlooked because there's so many characters? I was watching the Reichenbach and realized just how much Lestrade believed in Sherlock even when other people doubted him. And even when Lestrade wasn't sure what to think, he still warned Sherlock about what was going to happen.
      Same here. Contemporaries tend to fall flat by comparison.

      Delete
  2. I AM SMILING SO MUCH NOW OMG I JUST LOVE THIS POST AND I SHALL HUG YOU AND SMUSH CAKE IN YOUR HAIR. <-- Which is a good thing, I think. Definitely a happy thing anyway. *flails like a deluded penguin* AWK!!! The fact that you liked Dead Boy that much just jfadksladfj I cannot even I shall either shriek from the rooftops or collapse in a puddle of happy. OR BOTH AT ONCE. :')
    Also you're downright hilarious. Just sayin'.
    GIF PERFECTION.
    And I have been a bad book parent with lending too. To my sister, can you believe. She thought she could return a book with a bent cover???? Well. Let's just say I have one lest sister.
    LIMP NOODLE ROUL. HHHAHA. Ahem. I have not read the book, but from the movie I agree with that analysis.
    Also all those tropes. <333 I love sibling tropes so much.
    And would anyone fully relate to a character?! Like that would be nearly creepy right, if you 100% related to a book character. XD It would be all "how did this author spy on my life". hehe So I am the same! I only relate to bits and pieces. Saba is awesome. SABA IS THE BEST.
    (Good luck with the Death Cure. *sends you warm pretzels and chocolate for comfort*)
    Ohhh, and I am a COMPLETE DELUDED GRAPE BUT...what is "SFC"? I've never heard it before and I neeeeed to know. Also I actually agree with you there. I love diversity, but I'm really tired of books where it is the ONLY thing happening. I think that makes the book weak. Like how can a person have absolutely no life except for what minority they belong to??? That's just boring for everyone involved. I get seriously worried when characters don't have hobbies or goals in life haha. Ahem.
    ANYWAY THIS IS AN AMAZING POST AND I LOVE IT AND THANKS FOR DOING THE QUESTIONS. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I loved TDBATPC so much!

      THANK YOU!

      Bent covers are the worst. :/

      This is true though. It would be very creepy if someone related to a character fully. I would be a little suspicious.

      (*munches pretzels* Thanks. I need them, 'cause, it happened.)

      Oh, okay. Don't feel bad about it! SFC stands for Strong Female Character. I thought about writing it out instead of using the acronym. But I'd seen the acronym thrown around a lot, so I thought that it was a well-known acronym. Sorry about that! Ugh, yes. Characters who don't have hobbies are kind of weird, um, and boring to read about. What do they do with their lives?! [I get even more worried when I meet irl people without hobbies. Strangely, they exist.]
      Thank you so much! And thank you for making the list! It was a lot of fun. :)

      Delete
  3. Great post!

    I love the Lunar Chronicles! They are definitely my series crush! I started the Red Rising trilogy, and I'm really hoping Golden Son is as good as the first book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      Oh, yes the Lunar Chronicles are so much fun! Not perfect [but what is perfect, may I ask?]. But it's definitely a lot of fun and the characters are the best! I'm glad you liked Red Rising too. :)

      Delete
  4. Yes! Yes! Yes! To character driven books. :)
    No story is ever complete without a dragon. We should have contemporaries where everyone has a pet dragon (which would no longer be entirely contemporary but eh.)
    I still need to read The Lunar Chronicles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed!
      Yes! Definitely throw dragons into contemporary books. Then they would be fantasy books, hence they would be better. XD
      Oh, do read it. I mean, sadly, there are no dragons, BUT there's the sassiest and best cast of characters ever. :)

      Delete
  5. Ohh I love your answers! YES to the Lunar Chronicles! Why hasn't everyone read them yet? AND THOSE ANNOYING CHARACTER QUALITIES I totally totally agree. I hate those characters who behave like ducklings who have finally found their mama-duck. Just, no. And I really really need to start reading Red Rising!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clingy characters are the worst. They need to learn how to venture out on their own.

      Oh, do read Red Rising! It's so good. :)

      Delete
  6. Checking out more and more books from the library has made me more accustomed to DNFing. I just hate the thought of forcing myself to read a book and when it's one I haven't paid any money for, it's easy to put it down and never think about it again. No guilt. I would love to read more realistic sibling relationships. Why is it so many MC are only children or their brothers/sisters are never part of the narrative as well? Great answers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, if you don't have the freedom to DNF books, then you have to put too much thought into which ones you pick up to read. And very true. If you haven't paid for it and you don't like the book, why finish it? Realistic sibling relationships huzzah! They are the best. :) Thank you!

      Delete
  7. This post was joyous BUT "I will borrow ten books and DNF six or eight." YOU HURT ME DEEP IN MA SOUL. I don't even remember the last book I DNFed! I JUST CAN'T DO IT, FRIEND, I CAN'T.

    I'm happy to know feel less included in the TLC slackers warning. WOOHOO I'M GETTING THERE. Only 400 books on my TBR ......

    Loving the gifs in this. Me, I am keen on reading Splintered, though I'm sorry to hear you didn't like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess, unless it's for school, I don't see the point in putting myself through a book that I don't like. There are too many good books in the world to waste my time reading poorly written ones. That, and if I didn't give myself the freedom to DNF, I wouldn't borrow six or eight books at a time. I might borrow one, no more. BUT I do know what you're saying. I used to never DNF, and it was a huge shift when I started too because it felt so unnatural. Sometimes starting a book is like making a commitment to finish it.

      Haha! I know. I was thinking about how you've read Cinder now. I hope you liked it! Gah, but the TBR! I feel ya.

      I hope you like Splintered! It was well-written. The WORLD-BUILDING ALDKAHFA;LFJAWOJ! The romance just didn't work for me? And there was a lot of romance. I might reread it? But I do hope you like it. It has some good qualities!

      Delete
  8. Love this post! Ugh, you read my mind with #11. Sure, "drive your bandwagon," like you said, but there is much, MUCH more to a book than whether or not it includes all your pet minority issues. Can we just focus on writing and reading GOOD BOOKS and let side issues be side issues?

    I was also nodding along to so much of #21! Dragons and lost royalty and siblings and snark and ships and EVERYTHING, PRECIOUS. Ahem, apparently you hit a few enthusiastic buttons with this post. XD

    (Oh, and that Lunar Chronicles/Despicable Me thing is so great!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! A fiction book is not an agenda. "Let side issues be side issues." Yes!

      Great minds think alike. ;)

      (Thanks! I almost took it out, but it was just the PERFECT summary of TLC.)

      Delete
  9. I really like your selections for best tropes - seriously why isn't guy girl friendships that remain friendships more popular of a trope!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um, yes?! Why are we all left wondering why guy girl friendships don't stay friendships? Instead someone should be doing something about it! *ahem* Thank you. :)

      Delete
  10. Loved this post, it was cool to read about all your bookish quirks. I love Cait`s story ack, it`s so perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I know me too. Her stories are always amazing! :D

      Delete
  11. I LOVE THIS POST!! And YES, we need more girl/guy friendships and siblings, because let's be honest that's way more realistic than the Average Girl being fought over by Hot Dangerous Guy and Cute Nice Guy. And the Sherlock gifs! *thumbs up* And wasn't Cait's story amazing?!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guy/girl friendships need to happen. Because, um, they do happen in real life. And I love sibling dynamics! Siblings rock! (or mine do at least) So we need more of them in books. Cait's story was the best. :)

      Delete