Pages

Monday, May 2, 2016

All Around the Circuit World the Second // Music Monday

Yep, back again with my internet wanderings. 

I really like this Penslayer post about Masculinity & Femininity| Where They Overlap. This is some thought-provoking stuff and I love how she puts it. Hey, AND she also wrote this fabulous post about Strong Female Characters. Obviously, I think you should read it and it ought to be the first and last word on SFC okay? Okay. She also wrote this other post about encouraging bloggers, and if you haven't caught the drift yet, I'll say it outright. You SHOULD GO FOLLOW HER!

 By of way, my post is titled after this song. I've only heard Anthem Lights version though. I can't remember who originally sang it. . .





Kristen @ Metaphors and Moonlight talks about reposting/revamping old book review posts. I've actually never considered that.

Candice @ O Ye Scribes writes about some of the problems she recognizes in Christian fiction and points out that we still have to be careful of generalizing our judgments on them.

Aine from Writing on a Vintage Typewriter tells us how to get our friends to read that book we've been begging them to read. It's hilarious people! Just leave the book in the fridge, okay? Books aren't susceptible to freezer burn, right?

Last year, I got Needtobreathe's Rivers in the Wasteland album and am obsessed with it. (I do that. Collect copious small obsessions.) 






Gemma @ Chasing Daisies talks about the different types of punk. Just read it. You can thank me later.

Brent King has a different take Tolkien's orcs. This really fascinates me. As a Christian, I find a lot of parallels in fantasy but I never thought of this.

Victoria over @ Wanderer's Pen uses Iron Man to point out some awesome writing techniques and story concepts. Seriously digging these villain concepts!

This post here about Post-Feminist Fairy Tales is really interesting. It also makes the good point that sometimes these feminist stories go too far and end up committing sexism in reversed roles.  

 On that note, Cait @ Paper Fury wrote Do We Need Books That Don't Involve Discrimination? This post really made me think a lot. Especially since the topic of diversity is currently so popular. Oh, and she also wrote 10 Most Splendiferous Bookworm Moments. I love this post! May I just say that I agree that we ought to called book dragons instead of bookworms.

Let me make my case.

Dragons horde treasure. We book lovers horde/collect books/our treasure.

Dragons often sleep on their treasure. We fall asleep while reading a book or read before bed.

Dragons are sometimes buried in their treasure (think Smaug). How often do we whine that our TBR will crush us one day?


Hobbit Desolation of Smaug GIF Dragon


And as Cait also pointed out to me, dragons like shiny things. Who doesn't like a shiny book cover?!

Thank you.


.
source

While I love Rivers in the Wasteland, I have yet to listen to any of Needtobreathe's older albums. Do you listen to them? (Yes, I'm asking which is your favorite song/album.) All the same, I'm majorly excited for their new album. Here's one of the songs released from it.





Now try to tell me that isn't catchy. Just try. 

OH! And Cait also finished her Wattpad story, The Dead Boy and the Paper Cut. Obviously, I think you should go read it, before she takes it down. It's hilarious! It's sad. It's just awesome, okay? Hands down awesome.

I just recently started following this one blog called down by the willows. You should check it out. Very beautiful!

13 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! I get mini obsessions too lol. And I was just thinking that I've been getting a lot of them lately, especially with songs. And speaking of songs, I like the two that you posted. I'll have to check out some of their other songs. I'm always looking for new song obsessions ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so awesome! I'm glad I'm not the only one. XD Oh, yes especially with songs. I'm glad you liked them! I love them so much. Have an awesome week!

      Delete
  2. I believe I'm going to have to look up Needtobreath! :) Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are awesome! Of course, Music Mondays are so much fun! It's a good way to sneak in my love for music into the blog. :)

      Delete
  3. I just want to say again THANK YOU FOR THE SHOUT-OUT. You da bomb! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Songs and Links! Love NeedtoBreathe I like their Outsiders album.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! I will have to look up that album then!

      Delete
  5. I now have allll the tabs open, thanks Ashley! Sad to say I've not read Dead Boy, I started it many moons ago but I really struggle with reading things onscreen? I am never going to be an ereader person and reading on the laptop is ten times worse. Short stories in blog posts are the most I can manage.

    I will return with thoughts on those posts! (Also I guess I should follow Penslayer.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How To Get Your Friend to Read That Book: fill in a survey they make and, at the end, say "read the Lunar Chronicles!"

      I'M GOING TO OK? This summer, I promise! I promise, I promise!

      LOVE the SFC post. I may do a vaguely similar one in the future. I have been thinking about character motivation recently. Why does Corrie do the things she does? Why does she quest? And I think it's part of the same debate. Hm. We'll see.

      Delete
    2. It was a little weird to read something on my phone, but I got used to it fast. It might just be because I usually type my WIPs? So I already read onscreen. But yeah, not really into ereaders either, if I can have the book instead. Books are just so much more tangible.

      Haha! Yes! You must read it. Besides you have been finishing some series recently, yes? ;) I'm joking. I know you'll get to it.

      Yes, that SFC post. I loved it so much! Oh, I'd love to read what you have to say about it! Although I think we all ought to quest, because QUESTING IS FUN! Ashley, we're looking for something deeper than fun here. Quite right. cough* It is a similar debate though, and I'd love to read what you think.

      Delete