Pages

Wednesday, September 9, 2015

The Fellowship of the Four: a late Beautiful People

Cait @ Paper Fury and Sky @ Further Up and Further In do this awesome character link up. So I missed last month's link up. But I'm doing it anyways. 

Because. . . I'm a rebel. I guess. 

You get to meet the whole Oddball foursome today! I'm unsure if I should call you lucky or warn you.

Oddball
Rocky
Skyler
Peril

1. How long have they known each other and how close are they?

Rocky: *looks at Oddball* About a year?

Oddball: Yeah, something like that.

Rocky: And I've known Peril about the same time. *grins at Skyler* What you think?

Skyler *shrugs* Oh, I don't know. It's been too long. Does it matter?
 


2. What's their earliest memory of being best friends?

Rocky: Oddball helped Skyler and me get Bolt out of a collasping building.

Skyler: Yeah, it was rather wild.
 
 Oddball: Peril tried to chop off our heads.

Peril: Did not!

Skyler: That's not how I met Peril.

Rocky: How did that happen exactly?

Skyler: Books.

Peril: *grins* Yeah, books.



3. Do they fight? How long do they typically fight for?

 Peril: We fight off villains! *raises sword*

Oddball: *rolls eyes* That's not what the question meant.

Peril: But it's true.

Rocky: I guess, Oddball and I have had a few words. But those two.

Oddball and Peril glance at each other and make innocent faces.

Rocky: *shakes head* One day they might kill each other. 

Skyler: Wait, does that mean Oddball's the troublemaker?

Oddball: What? I don't make trouble.

Skyler: But you're the one involved in both situations. 

Oddball: But that- That doesn't mean anything. *looks around* Does it?

Peril: *laughs* And you say I cause all the trouble!

Oddball: *sighs* It's not my fault I have to put up with you two. But I will say that Skyler gets along with all of us.

Rocky: Yeah, Sky's the most easy going.


4. Are their personalities similar or do they compliment each other?

 Peril: Similar? What is that supposed to mean?

Oddball: Just say no. 

Skyler: *laughs* Yeah, there's not many connections here.
 

5. Who is the leader of their friendship (if anyone)?

*all look at Rocky*

Rocky: What. . . Oh. *waves* Yeah, that's me, I guess.



6. Do they have any secrets from each other?


Oddball: *fidgets*

Skyler: *studies the ground*

Peril: *looks over shoulder* Hey, what's that over there?

Rocky: *rubs back of neck*

me: *whispers* Are you kidding me?! Secrets MAKE the second book. If they didn't keep secrets, we'd have a well wrapped-up stand alone. But, no, these guys had to make it difficult.

7. How well do they know each others' quirks and habits?

Peril: Oddball is always SO moody.

Rocky: That's actually well known, Peril.

Skyler: Yeah, it's not really a quirk for him, more like a state of being.

Oddball: Whatever. Rocky always insists on, on making noise.

Rocky: It's called singing!

Skyler: Uh, yeah. Oddball's kind of right.

Peril: He's not a morning person either.

Rocky: I tried to introduce Oddball to a comb. But they don't get along.

Oddball: Brushing your hair is not all it's cracked up to be, okay?

Peril: *raises hand* What is this COMB you speak of? I want to know!

Skyler: Yeah, no comb and no shoes, for either of them.

Peril: I don't think Skyler has quirks.

Rocky: *smirks* She smells like a dragon. 

Skyler: That can't count as a quirk if I'm around dragons.

Oddball: But your best friend is a dragon. And I think we'll all agree that's rather quirky. Also, Peril is a Shamdram.

Peril: That's not a quirk! That's my kingdom.

Oddball: Quirk enough for anyone.


8. What kind of things do they like to do together?

Rocky: Oh, you know. The usual.

Skyler: Flying dragons?

Rocky: You're the only one who does that. I was thinking more like rock climbing. Mountaineering. Stuff like that?

Peril: Saving people's lives!

Skyler: Going against Jaykin's "don't list'?

Oddball: Meaning, narrowly escaping death. Every. Time.

Peril: Yay!
 

9. Describe each characters' fashion (use pictures if you like!). How are their styles different/similar?

Oddball: Did I say Peril was a Shamdram? I distinctly remember-

Rocky: Oddball thinks mud is a fashion statement.

Oddball: Fashion, what?

Skyler: It's okay. Rocky thinks his leather jacket goes with everything.

Rocky: What? You don't like it?

Skyler: Well, when you wear it 24/7 so that it never gets washed. . .

Rocky: You can't wash the luck out of it?!

Me: 'Scuse me. *clears throat* As this lot seems incompetent at the moment, I'll probably do my own post for you guys on this later. I'll make it fun. Promise.


10. How would their lives be different without each other?

Me again, I'll just answer this one. It would be impossible to get a real answer out of them anyhow. Bunch of kidders. 

Rocky would be. . . in trouble. He really would. He would be a mess of volatile anger with no direction. He'd be getting himself into a lot of fights.

Skyler would be silent. When she and Rocky met, she didn't speak. To anyone. She would be afraid. She would shut out the whole world and live inside herself and never come out again.

Peril would be running and alone and angry and bitter (seriously, she a wreck and I don't know if I can completely clear her up by the end of it all). She would be so, so tired of always running. She would have no one to be herself with. She would be forever misunderstood. She would have no one in the world at all. She would be making inside jokes to herself for the rest of her life.

Oddball would be alone. He would be sad. He'd almost never laugh or smile. He'd have little reason. He would never have a home. He wouldn't belong anywhere.


So was that thoroughly confusing? Did the highlighting help at all or did it make it worse? Also, one last question:

This month's BP, I'm going to do it on time. Who do you want to read about? Should the next BP be about:

Oddball
Rocky
Skyler
or
Peril
?

Let me know in the comments!

11 comments:

  1. Well, this bunch seems like quite the handful (and the highlighting did help, I think). I'd definitely enjoy reading more about them. Best of luck on your current work in progress. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they definitely are. I'm glad the highlighting helped. It gets a little crazy when I give them free rein around here. Especially all of them at once.

      Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Aw, this was so fun - I love how you interviewed your characters instead of taking over and showing us. We get more of a sense of the group dynamic that way, I guess!
    As for the next one... hmm. I kind of like Peril best, but that's only because I've already read one of your excerpts about her. I'd like to know more about Skylar, too, because anyone who hangs out with dragons is fine by me!
    Beth x
    www.thequietpeople.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I like letting them speak for themselves. Besides they tend to like it too. ;)

      Yay! A vote for Peril! She really is one of my favorites. And Skyler is awesome too!

      Delete
  3. WOAH WOAH WOAH. The Oddballs sound awesome XD And hey, being a rebel is great. We're kewl like that. This reminds me a lot about Pretty Little Liars because secrets and friendship and a crazy foursome. They sound great! And omg. That interview style made things so much more interesting.

    ~Nirvana @ Quenching the Quill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      I've never read that book, but maybe I should. ;)
      Yay! I'm glad you like the interview style. I'm definitely going to keep it.

      Delete
  4. Love their banter, and they way they all interact with each other. "I tried to introduce him to a comb, they didn't get along." Oh the sass, I love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! They are definitely a handful.
      Yes, Rocky does try to give Oddball some, uh. . . grooming? advice? It never works.

      Delete
  5. FANGIRLING SO HARD!!!! I'm literally doing the little armchair laptop dance/silent squeaking, like you know when the read a cute OTP moment and you just have to close the book for a sec and slide down in your chair and let out a high pitched whine before continuing?? Yeah that's me!

    "But, no, these guys had to make it difficult." -- silly ole secretive characters. ~cough~ JEM ~cough cough~

    Rocky: I tried to introduce Oddball to a comb. But they don't get along.
    Oddball: Brushing your hair is not all it's cracked up to be, okay?
    Peril: *raises hand* What is this COMB you speak of? I want to know!

    This bit made me laugh! (So did lots of bits, tbh.) I was meaning to ask, is the cover of your Oddball board Oddball? (You know, with the lack of comb thing?)

    I looove this post, anyway. (Finish the book soon, so I can read it, yeah?!) But the highlighting thing does not help, it makes it harder to read. Having the names before who's speaking makes it clear enough, I promise.

    I should try a BP post from a character's POV, though ... I've still not done September, I'm going to, though, tomorrow!

    I don't know who I want to hear about ... Rocky, maybe. (Maybe you've already written it, though. I am pretty late here. This answer is probably obsolete.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment made me so happy! You have no idea! Yeah, so I'm glad you liked it, them, all of it.

      WHAT IS IT WITH CHARACTERS AND THEIR SECRETS?! Don't they know that we are authors and they are characters therefore we will spill their secrets to the world so what's the point in having any?! (What a run-on sentence, sheesh.)

      I'm glad you liked that part. That was my favorite. Rocky is a little more, er, well groomed? than Oddball. He's always trying to force a comb or something Oddball. And Peril's pretty much the same way. No comb, no shoes, run free. Don't tell them I said it, but O and P are soulmates. *cough*

      I was afraid the highlighting would be disorienting. I'll leave it out next time.

      Yes! You should so do that! It's great fun. And I like letting the characters speak for themselves, well. . . sometimes.

      I have written it (a Peril post). But I'll probably do Rocky for October. It's been while we've had a solely Rocky post around here.

      Delete
    2. P.S.-- Yeah, that's Oddball on the Oddball board. There's two or three sort of like hims in there. The one on the cover was the first one I found, but probably still the closest.

      Delete