Pages

Saturday, August 2, 2014

Peril- Beautiful People

            Sorry, if you're getting bored of reading these character posts. :P  But I had to post about Peril. (Lucky, Lucky Peril, whatever you want to call her). She's one of my favorites (do I really say that about all of my characters *shrugs*).


              I warn. Peril has a contradictory personality at times.

1) What’s their favourite food? (Bonus: favourite flavour of chocolate!)

Black coffee. As strong and bitter as you can get it. Peril is a pretty high energy person and you’d think the last thing she needs is coffee. But coffee actually slows her down a little. It keeps her thoughts from being so scattered and warp-speed fast. She can focus better. But it also makes her more herself, and that’s why she doesn’t drink it often. Though she adores the taste of it.

The only chocolate she’s ever had is hot chocolate. She’s undecided on whether she likes it or not. There’s something comforting about it. But at the same time there’s something sappy romantic about it, and she can’t stand sappy romantics.

2) What do they absolutely hate?

Liars. Dishonesty. Two-faced people. Hypocrites. She can’t stand it. She can’t stand herself.

And there’s something about civilization. A house with four wall and a roof. A kingdom with a proper king. Not having the freedom to move from place to place. Settling down and being tied down to one place. It’s a Shamdram thing. Even though there is something inside her that is dying for stability.

3) What do they enjoy learning about?

Weapons. It’s another Shamdram thing.

She also loves stories. Like legends and myths from different cultures.

4) Who is the most influential person in their life?

I’m not sure if she has any good influence in her life who hasn’t let her down. And she doesn’t really trust people well. Joedin in a way. He taught her how to throw a knife. And while she had a lot of respect for him, he didn’t really teach her much beyond that. He was crazy after all.

Jaykin hasn't really taught her much. He took her in and is just there. Someone who she can trust if she lets herself

Oddball, I guess. Mostly Oddball actually. He didn’t do it directly. But he let her know it’s okay to be herself and trust people every now and then. To her, he’s really strong. Because he trusts people and cares about them. Even when they do let him down, he will still go and trust and care about other people although he knows he could get hurt again. He’s also the most, if not the only, stable thing in her life. You could say because of him she actually knows what stability even is.

5) What is their childhood fear?
Hm. I’m not sure if it’s her childhood fear. Because in ways, she still fears it. She’s afraid that everything the Shamdram government and the asylum people say is true. That her father was a criminal and lunatic, and that her mother was a witch and that it’s all hereditary.

That she does belong in the asylum


6) What is something they have always secretly dreamed of doing, but thought impossible?

Being wholly and completely herself. For one day. Just one day. For at least one person to accept her this way and not tell the Shamdram military. And for her to be able to accept herself.

To be free. To not have a care in the world. But she knows that is impossible. Because even if one day all of her own problems were gone, she would still care about other people who are still facing their own problems. There is always something wrong in the world.

7) What is something he is impractically afraid of?

That maybe she is even lost to herself, and she doesn’t even know who she is because she has never been able to be herself.

That one day she will meet a weapon that she can not figure out.

Also see childhood fears.
8) Are they a night owl or morning person?

Hm. I don’t really see Peril sleeping much at all. She is probably one of those strange people who stay up late but will also get up early. Who can run on small bursts of sleep and cat naps.

9) Do they say everything that pops into their head, or leave a lot unsaid?

The façade she puts on makes it seem like she has no filter to speak of. But her real thoughts, she rarely voices, unless it’s necessary or she’s concerned about someone.

Often times to keep people from knowing what she really thinks, she will be sarcastic, but with a tone that is serious or naive or without a hint of sarcasm so that no one would ever suspect what she really means. And they never do.

10) What are their nervous habits?

Peril likes crowds. All of those people. She can hide in plain sight or get lost in the sea of people. When she wants to feel calm, she will always seek company if she can’t find a highly populated area, like a town square.

When she’s nervous, she tends to look over her shoulder a lot. Like someone’s following her. She surveys her surroundings often and is aware of everything that’s going on.

 Often she’ll act absolutely ridiculous and make no sense whatsoever, which is often her cover for most things.

9 comments:

  1. I can see why you love all your characters, I do too. Everyone in this book. And I am glad Pearl has Oddball, it osunds like she needs him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Oddball and Peril need each other. . . they just haven't figured that out yet.

      Delete
  2. you have been nominated for the liebster award
    || the writeress ||

    p.s. I really love your characters! I haven't read any of your most recent posts, but I've been saving them for later. I have so many things to write and read, it's taking me a while to get to some of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've been tagged for something else too. I think I have so catching up to do. :) There are always so many things to read and write. I'm a bit overwhelmed by it all too.

      Delete
  3. I love this. She sounds like a very broken girl. If I may be so bold .... is Oddball going to be the one to fix her? ~exaggerated winking~

    "To her, he’s really strong. ... He’s also the most, if not the only, stable thing in her life. You could say because of him she actually knows what stability even is."
    Come on, don't tell me there's not a budding romance.

    Please tell me: what is Shamdram? And what does Peril want to be that she can't be? Is it to do with magic? Her witch mother?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Yeah. They kind of fix each other. But don't tell them I said that. They would go on strike. Separately, to make their point.

      They are love interests. But they have a lot of conflict and bumps in the road. I think that's what'll make it even better in the end though.

      Shamdram, I didn't explain that very well. Shamdram is one of the kingdoms in the Oddball trilogy. And the people are referred to as Shamdrams (I got tired of adding -ish, -nese, and -an to the end of everything). Peril happens to be one of them. I really could go on and on about the Shamdramnese culture; it's my favorite in the book. :) But I'll just say that they value freedom highly and have strange ideals about it. They began as a warrior culture and it is said that a Shamdram can figure out any weapon within an hour. Also they believe that you inherit most things from your parents. They tend exaggerate and take things to the extreme.

      So since Peril's parents were criminal, insane, and into witchcraft (Shamdrams are very superstitious), Peril was consider to be the exact same since her birth. Shamdram actually has an interkindomal warrant out for her arrest. But only two people know what she actually looks like and all of her posters are grossly inaccurate, usually depicting her as a monster.

      She's been suppressing who she is since she was very young in order to fool the Shamdram military. All she wants is to be real for just once. But she's not even sure who she is, and she doesn't want what everything the Shamdrams say about her to be true.

      Delete
    2. Hmm. Sounds highly shippable. Will there be more on them at some point?

      Right. So, how many kingdoms are there? This sounds cool. I love making up cultures, etc. So .... how like her parents is she actually? Can she do magic?

      Delete
    3. Perhaps. Their ship so far has been a little more subtle than Rocky and Skyler's. ;) I've really said anything blatant about because it's a slow development throughout the trilogy even though it is unmistakably there. Also because the two at this moment won't admit to it. . . I guess I'm afraid of making it too much about the romance. I don't know. I've never written romance stuff before. :/

      Eh, I don't really know. In the first book, the reader is probably exposed to at least three or four cultures first hand. . . maybe more. There's more in the second book. I haven't exactly counted them; I just know they exist. World building is one of my favorite aspects of fantasy!

      Peril can't do magic. But she does often have nightmares and is scared that it's her mother's demons haunting her. Really, it's just her childhood memories of the asylum though.

      Delete
    4. Slow development is good. I too have four MCs, best friends, two future couples, but there's nothing between any of them yet - I don't think they realise, yet, that that's the way it's going! I've written plenty of romance in my time, mostly aged 12-14, but now I shy away from it; I'm always worried about being cliched/annoying.

      World building is the business.

      Delete