Pages

Thursday, August 22, 2013

TBC: All the feels



          The Book Chewers are having another awesome linkup!

Prompt: It's all about the feels this week! Walk us through the books that have had a profound emotional impact on you.

                                                           Be warned, this is not spoiler free.

          Made me laugh: Hm, a good many books do that. Eh, not always because they mean to either. . .  I'll pick two. The Burning Bridge by John Flanagan and The Knight by Steven James.

         Made me cry: The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood by Howard Pyle. The end. It follows Hood's life; so you know what happens in the end? And he was betrayed for such a petty reason! That book had me balling, almost in front of people too. *sniffles*

           Made me feel nostalgic: Emily of New Moon by L. M. Montgomery. The whole trilogy. It does have an Anne of Green Gables feel, but I relate even more with Emily. Kindred spirits. :)

           Made me depressed: The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snickett. I love his style. But I just couldn't finish the series. I moped the whole week it took me to read.

           Made me angry: The Secret Garden by ? The girl made me so angry; she was such a brat! I didn't finish the book, so I'm not sure this counts. I don't normally finish books that make me angry. . . kind of like the depressing ones. Oh, AND my English textbook. It's a book- and I finished this one. You see, I was quite certain that it lied to me when it said that verbs could become nouns. I had refused to believe in gerunds. There were other issues I had with my textbook. I kicked it across the room once. Its sharp corner bit the bottom of my foot. Heh, that's why it only happened once.

           Shocked me: Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins. I haven't read the back of the book. If it's a series and the author's gained my trust, I don't read the back of the book. It ruins the surprises. So I didn't know Katniss was going back into the arena. It totally devastated me, as much as it did Katniss. As soon as she found out, I closed my book. And didn't pick it up for another week. I realized it was because, I didn't want to go back into the arena again. I didn't want to follow Katniss and go through all that again. That's how amazing a writer Collins is. She really gets you into the world and mind of the character. (I did finish it by the way.)

           Satisfied ending: Any mystery by Sibella Giorello leaves me with a grin on my face. That refreshing, aaahh moment. When you know everything's alright, justice has been served, mercy given, but we don't have to say good-bye to our beloved FBI Agent just yet because the next book will be out soon. :)

           Astounding, yet inevitable ending: Insurgent by Veronica Roth. I. love. this. book! And the end, wow! All readers gasp and before we can let it out, we read THE END. The end? What?! But, really, it was inevitable. I was itching throughout the whole two books to know- What is outside the fence? What is the rest of the world doing? Why does the gate not lock things out, but instead locks them in? And now the answers! Can't wait for the next book!

           Worst ending: I'm blanking. Perhaps it's one of those books I haven't finished because they make me depressed or angry?

          Terrified me: The Cooper Kids series by Frank Peretti. Chilled me when I was younger. And it didn't help that I read at night either. The most frightening were The Deadly Curse of Toco-Rey and Escape from the Island of Aquarius. Eck, still get the be-jeebers thinking about it. Steven James' The Rook was pretty creepy too. A villain who truly cannot feel physical pain. Then add spiders.

          Mixed feelings: The Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins. They never made it inside Snow's office. They didn't even encounter him before their mission was foiled. It felt very incomplete and rushed. Yet there were those perfectly planned, vital moments with her and Peeta. Then Prim. Prim! May I say, Prim, again? I know, I know, I should've seen it coming. But cut us some slack. Prim? Wwwhhyyyyyy? The end ending with Katniss and Peeta trying to mend the shattered pieces of their lives was really kind of sad. Hopeful, yes, yet still sad. But the end, with Katniss and Haymitch, Snow and Coin, and the arrow. Oh, it was genius! And, maybe I should've, but I didn't see it coming. And it was the best surprise of the whole book. :)
          
          Okay, so maybe I fell to using italics more often than I ought have. Again Emily Bryd Starr and I are kindred spirits. :)

          And now I realize that if you haven't read these books, then I've just written a very unintelligible post. :P I apologize.

          By the way, according to the Classics Club's spin on Monday, I'll be reading The Purloined Letter by Edgar Allan Poe. Uh, as soon as I find it. The possibility of the library not having it didn't seem relevant when I made my list. :P

8 comments:

  1. You should totally get past through Mary's bratness, Ashley! It. is. worth. the. trouble. Here, to resurrect your faith with the book: http://www.thebookchewers.com/2013/08/a-childrens-book-in-eyes-of-adult.html?m=1

    And you're also in the club. Yaaay! I am too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps I'll give it a second chance one day. The title itself is compelling.

      I just recently heard of the Classics Club, and thought I'd give the spin a try. It sounds fun. :)

      Delete
  2. The Burning Bridge - AMAZING! (DID YOU SEE THERE IS GOING TO BE A 12TH?!?!?!?!?!?! WILL GETS AN APPRENTICE!!!!! I'm getting a time machine to go buy it early, want to come?)

    Robin Hood, I'm with you. Tragic ending.

    I have no remarks on the other books because I've not read most of them. Also, I'm still geeking out about Will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Will. 12th book. Awesomeness! And time travel sounds fascinating, count me in.

      Wait, you mean. . that you haven't read The Hunger Games trilogy or Divergent and Insurgent or. . . *jaw drops* But they're amazing! A bit heavy on the romance for me at times. But the characters- the worlds- the story itself. And amazing POV. :) You'll at least give Steven James' Bower Files a try, right?

      Delete
  3. Emily Byrd Starr. Love her. She makes me feel nostalgic too. Any of L.M. Montgomery's books do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of Montgomery's books are nostalgic, true. Hm, makes me wonder about her as a person. Perhaps she was very nostalgic and romantic like Anne or Emily.

      Delete
  4. All through your post I was like "I should have put that book in my post!!!"

    Those Frank Peretti books, that were "children" books, scared me so bad when I was a kid, yet I couldn't stop reading them.
    Also, I was equally shocked with Catching Fire. I didn't read the flap either and had a huge surprise:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a wonder that they were children's books. They always scared me so bad, but they were so good. Very suspenseful. I was said when I'd finished the series. Nancy Drew just wasn't the same.

      Yes! Catching Fire was, wow. That surprise. Mind-numbing. Back of book reading just spoils all the fun.

      Delete