Pages

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Reading


           I'm a slow reader. I like to savor my books. Not devour them in a sitting. And with work and school and life demanding my presence and attention, I don't have a lot of time to read books.

           I feel so behind in my reading.

           When I read blogs, my friends are talking about all the new trends out there. All the new books. They've read Cinder and Scarlett. They've read Percy Jackson and the author's other books. They debate about Harry Potter. Some are Lord of the Rings fanatics. I was proud of myself for figuring out what LOTR means. They love Maggie Steivafiver (I'm sorry. I don't know how to spell her name). They quote Lemony Snicket. I don't know what Game of Thrones is about. I hear about The Ranger's Apprentice.
         
           I've read The Hunger Games Trilogy. People don't talk about it as much any more. I've read Divergent and Insurgent. More people should read them. The fantasy that got me into fantasy is The Trophy Chase Trilogy. Who's heard of that? (I still love it though. When I learned what POV is I realized Polivka has terrible POV, but I forgive him, Blaggard's Moon is worth it.) I've read Finnikin of the Rock. And, hm, The Hobbit, yes. After much convincing from my friends. I'm on chapter 3 of The Fellowship of the Rings. And, I think that's it.

           But when I go to college, people talk about the classics and the authors who wrote the classics. People like Hemingway, Poe, Tolkien, Faulkner. They talk about how they revolutionized the writing of their times. And I just sit there and listen meekly. Because I have no idea what their talking about. I haven't read many classics.

            Some of the ones I have read a somewhat obscure. Like The Scarlet Pimpernel, The Black Arrow, The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood. Although I have read Tom Sawyer. And I love Pride and Prejudice. But who likes Pride and Prejudice anymore? It's seems most people I know don't like Jane Austen. One day I'll have to do a post on her. She's just underestimated. I tried to read Silas Marner, but I couldn't understand it. And that famous short story that Poe wrote that revolutionized, or maybe it created, mystery writing? I didn't finish it. One of my friends liked it. So I thought I'd give it a try, even though Poe's poetry is so morbid. I told myself, "It's a story. Stories are always better to follow." Four pages. He was talking about the two main characters' strange introvert way of life. Nothing was happening. I closed the book. Probably just before something was going to happen. I tend to do that. Stop just before it gets good.

           Maybe I just need to have a little more perseverance in my reading. Because Finnikin of the Rock was good after I read half of it.

          What are you reading?  What is some of your recent favorites? Do you have any classic favorites? What do you prefer? Modern books or old literary books?

6 comments:

  1. I suppose I tend to read slightly obscure books. I tend more toward older books, perhaps. But I try to branch out into newer genres as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obscure books are awesome! Except when you have no one to talk about them with. But. . . then they're like this secret treasure. And for some reason, when I find a good obscure book I think it's my responsibility to reveal it to the world and. . . un-obscure it.

      Delete
  2. I want to read everything. I don't know why...just all of a sudden. People talk about books and I'm really desperate to read them all. Not that I *like* them all. But I want to try! Newer books are the best for me. I love keeping up with the trends (though I can only so much as the library allows me).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! My to-read list never gets shorter. And I love to try a variety of things. Anything intriguing, even if it's a children's book.

      Delete
  3. You should read what you enjoy and not worry about it. I do the same, I read things few others do and I sit back in amazement at how wonderful they are and wonder why no one else is raving about them. But sometimes we find wonderful things that aren't under the popular list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, very true. There are hidden stories out there. That's what's so wonderful about libraries. :)
      I just like to know why everyone is talking about a specific book. Just because it's popular doesn't mean it's a good story or it's well-written. But I wonder what it is that people find so interesting. The only reason I read The Hunger Games at first was because I wanted to know what all the noise was about.

      Delete