Pages

Saturday, December 19, 2015

Another Try: poem

So I found some poems while rummaging through my journal. Here's one. In all it's non-poetic imperfection. 


I lay here
Wide awake
With all the fear
I always have

The deeds of today
Flash through my mind
What was said and done
What wasn't

 Did I do it right
Could it've been different
Should I speak up more
What will they think now

Did I do it right
This thing called life
Can I ever get it straight

But you tell me
I have nothing left
That needs doing
In the past

That's done and over
Who cares about it
Who cares what they'll think
They'll think what they will

It's the future
That holds doing
To be done,
It's the new day dawning

It's where we live
In now and later
Not way back then
Those are yesterday's hymns

Today is a new melody
That newness, that song
That's my redemption
My chance for another try

14 comments:

  1. Your poems are like the best thing ever Ashley <3 I feel like this is what's running through my head while I'm trying to sleep.

    ~Noor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank!
      I know, your brain just kicks into review the day mode when you try to sleep. XD

      Delete
  2. Your poem stings with regret and bitter despair, then hope. I loved the slow transition between the two feelings, it's almost like listening to someone's thought process out loud. Awesome poem Ashley. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks so much!
      I guess it kind of is my thought process. . . I'm glad you liked it.

      Delete
  3. I. Love. This.
    Seriously, this poem is beautiful. It really captures the feeling of life, and also the feelings that I think everyone has at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "It's the future
    That holds doing
    To be done"


    Beautiful!!! (and I love the title of your blog)

    http://poetreeandbooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!

      Haha! Thank. I was a little indecisive about the title. But now it stays. ;)

      Delete
  5. I relate, this is me.
    it's beautiful.
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhh I RELATE. I totally lie in bed and recount the day 249829 times. Mostly all the mistakey moments. XD But. still. It's beautiful, Ashley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I do that. . . all the time. Sometimes I have to stop myself and be like, "Brain, would you sleep already?!" And of course, it always refuses. XD

      Delete
  7. OMG YES. Whenever I try to sleep my brain offers me all the mistakes I've made lately. Love the rhythm here, it feels like it should be put to music :D Lovely poem, Ashley!

    ReplyDelete